Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???

O I finished my cycle yesterday,
Ammo:0 trites:0 trates:20-40... Did a pwc today and tested again and the trates lowered to 10. I went to my LFS and got a scissor tail dart fish.. I properly acclimated him by floating the bag for 20 minutes then put him in a bucket with a syphon at 30 minutes with 2-4 drops per second. After that I netted him out and put him in the tank! He was swimming around seeming all happy and got his color back that he lost from the trip home.. I left for 3 hours and came back and he is now hangin out between the heater and the glass.. Temp is 76 degrees F, ammo 0, trites .25 (idk where that came from), trates 10-20, and ph at 8.0. I have some API buffer max to raise the ph to 8.2-8.4... Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???

Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, salinity: barely over 32 and specific gravity: 1.024.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
O I finished my cycle yesterday,
Ammo:0 trites:0 trates:20-40... Did a pwc today and tested again and the trates lowered to 10. I went to my LFS and got a scissor tail dart fish.. I properly acclimated him by floating the bag for 20 minutes then put him in a bucket with a syphon at 30 minutes with 2-4 drops per second. After that I netted him out and put him in the tank! He was swimming around seeming all happy and got his color back that he lost from the trip home.. I left for 3 hours and came back and he is now hangin out between the heater and the glass.. Temp is 76 degrees F, ammo 0, trites .25 (idk where that came from), trates 10-20, and ph at 8.0. I have some API buffer max to raise the ph to 8.2-8.4... Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???
Most fish hide when they are first introduced.Here is some quick stats on Liveaquaria:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scissortail Dartfish
The trites may have shot up due to the addition of the fish.I would do another pwc.Good luck!
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

just think of it like working out to build muscle. you cant go to the gym on day one and lift your max weight.. you need to start with lighter weights and build up to your potential.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

no worries about the fish. i don't know a fish that's willing to come out when freshly introduced to your tank. it's like would you go to a foreign country on the first day and speak the native tongue? it takes you months and years to master the local language correct? it's like that for fish as well; takes days if not weeks for them to call the new tank home
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix View Post
Most fish hide when they are first introduced.Here is some quick stats on Liveaquaria: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scissortail Dartfish The trites may have shot up due to the addition of the fish.I would do another pwc.Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
just think of it like working out to build muscle. you cant go to the gym on day one and lift your max weight.. you need to start with lighter weights and build up to your potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
no worries about the fish. i don't know a fish that's willing to come out when freshly introduced to your tank. it's like would you go to a foreign country on the first day and speak the native tongue? it takes you months and years to master the local language correct? it's like that for fish as well; takes days if not weeks for them to call the new tank home
. Awesome! Thank you guys! This morning he's out swimming around but still shy! I guess I was just over worried since this is my first saltwater tank! Thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
. Awesome! Thank you guys! This morning he's out swimming around but still shy! I guess I was just over worried since this is my first saltwater tank! Thanks again!!
Glad I could help. Good luck! What size tank do you have? What other fish will you be stocking your tank with?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix View Post
Glad I could help. Good luck! What size tank do you have? What other fish will you be stocking your tank with?
Thank you!

55 gallons!

2 Clownfish
Six line wrasse
Lawnmower blenny
Clown goby-citrinis
Zebra barred dartfish
Old 11-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One more question, during the end I my cycle this brown coat formed over my sand.. I'm assuming that algae of some sort?? I have algae on my live rock and I was told that was fine. What could this brown stuff be? I posted photos on my profile if you need to see them!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am still pretty new to the hobby myself.Not really sure what it is...my suggestion is create a thread in getting started and check out the articles on the site.

Tags
tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com