Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
48 is not so bad. Did you check on the other parameters listed above by Captahab
The tap Nitrates are 0, I use stress coat to remove chlorine/chloramine and have no test kit to check it, If it was present after it was treated with stress coat then i don't think my 44 gal FW tank would have cycled (I think). I'll have to get test kits for the others, silica and phosphates. Aren't the heavy metals also taken care of using stress coat?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
48 is not so bad. Did you check on the other parameters listed above by Captahab
Bye the way, what are the ramifications?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

IMO.. there is no way NYC water has 0 nitrates. Can you post the link to the water rpt? What boro you in?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate08.pdf

starts on page 14
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if I can believe a nitrate level of 0. And No Stress coat does not remove heavy metals. The water report should give you phosphate levels. The problem with metals in the water is that they build up over time and then sock it to you. If the phosphate level is low you could get away with using tap for a few months until you can get a R/O unit. The problem is that you might wait to long an get into real trouble. Yes it is another expensive item, but you have to look at the over all investment and see that you might put that into jeopardy over a ~$150 item.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Thanx but no.....

Kinda strayed off topic, but I'll stick with where I started. Not required but not too long down the path the money you spend to try and 'fix' things in your tank that may be attributable to your tap water may well out spend the cost of the unit up front.

If nothing else, the report will show you what you'll be putting in your tank. With RO/DI water, all that goes in the tank is H20 plus what's in the salt. Anything else is something you add, not anyone else.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
IMO.. there is no way NYC water has 0 nitrates. Can you post the link to the water rpt? What boro you in?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate08.pdf

starts on page 14
I'm using a tetra test NO3 to test my tap and the results are a slightly darker yellow than on the chart which which = 0 mg/l and my FW tank test is orange as indicated on the chart to be 12.5 mg/l. Maybe their is something because it's not exactly the yellow on the chart but it's definitely no where near the orange. I'm Brooklyn. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to blasterx Send a message via Yahoo to blasterx
I'm sure there has to be a place you can buy RO/DI water somewhere near by. Are there any LFS around? Most of them will sell it by the gallon then you don't have to buy a unit right away. You could use distilled water but I have heard that it can contain copper which could be bad.

blasterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I don't know if I can believe a nitrate level of 0. And No Stress coat does not remove heavy metals. The water report should give you phosphate levels. The problem with metals in the water is that they build up over time and then sock it to you. If the phosphate level is low you could get away with using tap for a few months until you can get a R/O unit. The problem is that you might wait to long an get into real trouble. Yes it is another expensive item, but you have to look at the over all investment and see that you might put that into jeopardy over a ~$150 item.
I don't want to jeopardize anything, and for the test I used my tetra test NO3, please see the post response to CaptainAhab. Hey look I'm not looking to get anyone upset here just trying to get info and supplying actual test results from a nitrate test kit, and according to the Stress coat plus bottle it tells me in writing that it detoxifies heavy metals, if it doesn't then what does it mean? I don't even have the tank yet, i get it tomorrow and would like to start cycling the tank as soon as possible. I was looking to put off getting the R/O unit for only 2 months.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Thanx but no.....

It's not that big a deal to start w/ tap and migrate over. Heck, I'm on the board of directors in the 'former non-believer' club (Dues $20, includes T-shirt btw). We'll see ya at a future meeting.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
It's not that big a deal to start w/ tap and migrate over. Heck, I'm on the board of directors in the 'former non-believer' club (Dues $20, includes T-shirt btw). We'll see ya at a future meeting.
When is the next meeting?

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com