Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
Thanx but no.....

You know what the big O says.. Pay to play baby.. Pay to play.

btw: used to work over on Park Ave. Miss the city, not the drive

Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterx View Post
I'm sure there has to be a place you can buy RO/DI water somewhere near by. Are there any LFS around? Most of them will sell it by the gallon then you don't have to buy a unit right away. You could use distilled water but I have heard that it can contain copper which could be bad.
How is the unit you got at bulk reef supply? Does it require a pump or is it driven from tap pressure?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
You know what the big O says.. Pay to play baby.. Pay to play.

btw: used to work over on Park Ave. Miss the city, not the drive
That's some commute. You know what (The wife wont like it) It seems to be too important, What do you think about the unit blasterx uses from bulk reef supply? I must apologize for my ignorance but this is my first SW tank and want to do the right thing and not wind up sleeping in my garage, you know what i mean? It does make sense, starting off with a clean slate at least you know what your starting with.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Chemistry and the Aquarium

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to blasterx Send a message via Yahoo to blasterx
The pressure from the tap runs it but I guess it all depends on where you live, I guess I would the water pressure in my city "normal" it seems much the same as anywhere else I have lived. It's worked out well, it was cheaper than some other units around and they sell the replacement resin for cheap. I have been really happy with it. It didn't work when I connected it the first time, the had connected the auto shutoff valve backwards. Once I put that on the right way it worked great

blasterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterx View Post
The pressure from the tap runs it but I guess it all depends on where you live, I guess I would the water pressure in my city "normal" it seems much the same as anywhere else I have lived. It's worked out well, it was cheaper than some other units around and they sell the replacement resin for cheap. I have been really happy with it. It didn't work when I connected it the first time, the had connected the auto shutoff valve backwards. Once I put that on the right way it worked great
How many gallons of waste is there per good? If you have the 75gpd unit, approximately how long does it take to make every 5 gallons?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I work for a water municipality and even though I consider it safe to drink I do not consider for my reef. Phosphates, nitrates, silicates, chlorine and flouride. Great things for drinking, swimming and watering the yard but not for our reef. JMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfius View Post
How many gallons of waste is there per good? If you have the 75gpd unit, approximately how long does it take to make every 5 gallons?
It depends on the temp. In the summer my RO/DI unit will make 5 gallons in 4 or 5 hours but in the winter it takes about 8 or 9 hours. Warmer water goes through the membrane quicker than cold water. Mine is outside in my tool shed.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
It depends on the temp. In the summer my RO/DI unit will make 5 gallons in 4 or 5 hours but in the winter it takes about 8 or 9 hours. Warmer water goes through the membrane quicker than cold water. Mine is outside in my tool shed.
And what's the ratio of waste water to good?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

The real problem with using tap water is consistency. You don't have it with tap water. You're at the total mercy of your local water department. The chemical makeup of your tap water will change over the course of the year, and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if your tap water tests perfect today, it could be filled with nitrates and phosphates the next. With RO/DI, your water is the same every single time - regardless of the water coming into the unit. This consistency is really what you're after when it comes to a reef.

The fact that you're eliminating phosphates, nitrates, chlorine, etc is a really good thing too... but for me, it's the fact that I know the water I start with is the same every single day.

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com