Do you have to use RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi
I'm going to be setting up a 120 gallon tank within the month and have read in a few threads about using RO water, is this an absolute must? Setting this up is costing me quite a few pennies and can use a little break until i come up with a few more.

Keith

Yes, absolutely positively a must. I got my 5 stage unit from bulkreefsupply.com and it's been working great. before that i would buy my ro/di at the LFS 10 gallons at a time which got old really quick!

It is not a must. Highly recommended but many use regular old tap water. There are the normal downsides of not using but to deem it a must is incorrect.

Not a must, but most likely not where you want to pinch pennies. The troubles that can be introduced using tap just aren't worth it IMO. Of course tap sources vary...

Okay, what is in the tap water that is most detrimental that i can test for to determine the immediate need for the RO/DI unit? Where could i get a unit at a reasonable price?

Nitrates, silica, phosphates, heavy metals, chlorine/chloramine. Check your local municipality website. It's almost certain they have your water results posted online. If they don't call them. They have them

Nitrates, silica, phosphates, heavy metals, chlorine/chloramine. Check your local municipality website. It's almost certain they have your water results posted online. If they don't call them. They have them
Thanks, I'll do that now and get back to you with the contents.

Keith

Keep in mind, the water chemistry will/can change too. Find out when they did the test. If you think about it, you can get a good 5 stage/75GPD RO/DI unit off eBay for around $150 shipped. I agree, it is not a must, and you can probably get it down the road if you so chose.

Okay a quick search came up with total dissolved solids in New York city is 48/PPM TDC.

48 is not so bad. Did you check on the other parameters listed above by Captahab

48 is not so bad. Did you check on the other parameters listed above by Captahab
The tap Nitrates are 0, I use stress coat to remove chlorine/chloramine and have no test kit to check it, If it was present after it was treated with stress coat then i don't think my 44 gal FW tank would have cycled (I think). I'll have to get test kits for the others, silica and phosphates. Aren't the heavy metals also taken care of using stress coat?

I don't know if I can believe a nitrate level of 0. And No Stress coat does not remove heavy metals. The water report should give you phosphate levels. The problem with metals in the water is that they build up over time and then sock it to you. If the phosphate level is low you could get away with using tap for a few months until you can get a R/O unit. The problem is that you might wait to long an get into real trouble. Yes it is another expensive item, but you have to look at the over all investment and see that you might put that into jeopardy over a ~$150 item.

Kinda strayed off topic, but I'll stick with where I started. Not required but not too long down the path the money you spend to try and 'fix' things in your tank that may be attributable to your tap water may well out spend the cost of the unit up front.

If nothing else, the report will show you what you'll be putting in your tank. With RO/DI water, all that goes in the tank is H20 plus what's in the salt. Anything else is something you add, not anyone else.

IMO.. there is no way NYC water has 0 nitrates. Can you post the link to the water rpt? What boro you in?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate08.pdf

starts on page 14
I'm using a tetra test NO3 to test my tap and the results are a slightly darker yellow than on the chart which which = 0 mg/l and my FW tank test is orange as indicated on the chart to be 12.5 mg/l. Maybe their is something because it's not exactly the yellow on the chart but it's definitely no where near the orange. I'm Brooklyn. Thanks for the link.

I'm sure there has to be a place you can buy RO/DI water somewhere near by. Are there any LFS around? Most of them will sell it by the gallon then you don't have to buy a unit right away. You could use distilled water but I have heard that it can contain copper which could be bad.

I don't know if I can believe a nitrate level of 0. And No Stress coat does not remove heavy metals. The water report should give you phosphate levels. The problem with metals in the water is that they build up over time and then sock it to you. If the phosphate level is low you could get away with using tap for a few months until you can get a R/O unit. The problem is that you might wait to long an get into real trouble. Yes it is another expensive item, but you have to look at the over all investment and see that you might put that into jeopardy over a ~$150 item.
I don't want to jeopardize anything, and for the test I used my tetra test NO3, please see the post response to CaptainAhab. Hey look I'm not looking to get anyone upset here just trying to get info and supplying actual test results from a nitrate test kit, and according to the Stress coat plus bottle it tells me in writing that it detoxifies heavy metals, if it doesn't then what does it mean? I don't even have the tank yet, i get it tomorrow and would like to start cycling the tank as soon as possible. I was looking to put off getting the R/O unit for only 2 months.

It's not that big a deal to start w/ tap and migrate over. Heck, I'm on the board of directors in the 'former non-believer' club (Dues $20, includes T-shirt btw). We'll see ya at a future meeting.

It's not that big a deal to start w/ tap and migrate over. Heck, I'm on the board of directors in the 'former non-believer' club (Dues $20, includes T-shirt btw). We'll see ya at a future meeting.
When is the next meeting?

Back
Top Bottom