Do you have to use the recomended amount of live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let's say I have a 55 gallon tank... Do I have to use 55 lbs of live rock? Can I just use 20-30?

Go with however much you think makes the tank look good to your liking. I only have 60lbs in my 75g but 80lbs in my 40g and am content.

I believe the "rule" is for filtration purposes opposed to visual effect. The more liverock that is in a tank, in theory, the better the natural filtration.

Yes... but there are tanks with no live rock. The bacteria responsible for the “filtration” cover any and every surface.

I have about 55 in my 55 gallon tank. It is always a good ideas to have more than the 1 lb 1 gallon rule. My rock isn't really dense so it looks a lot fuller than some tanks I have seen.

I have 60lb in my 130 gal. But I also have a underground filter so it looks like a lot more. How I see it is get as much to your liking.

Would it be possible to add a little more rock every few days or weeks during the cycling process or would that mess it up?

SleepsWithFish said:
Would it be possible to add a little more rock every few days or weeks during the cycling process or would that mess it up?

As long as the rock is fully cured you shouldn't have a problem doing that.

no i have a 30gallon tank with just 20pounds of reefrock, and my tank cycled in 3weeks using a shrimp

Back
Top Bottom