Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fitting that I have an aquarium!
Thanks again for your timely responses.

I have a Clear For Life Uniquarium, which comes with a " 3-in-1 filtration system" which "combines chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration for the perfect balanced environment". (At least initially, I'm hiring someone to do the monthly water changes and maintenance until I get the hang of all of this!)

How do you bring fish back to LFS without a source of oxygen?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry I didnt edit anything on your post I just hit the wrong button. You just brought them home in a bag right. Just put yours in a bag or a bowl or a bucket.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

So the top has a permanent cover, with just a feeding window to open?
Can the top be removed?
Gas exchange (Oxygen/CO2 takes place at the water surface. The best way to insure a good gas exchange is to have a power head or two placed so that the surface of the water is rippled, not still.
This unit also has a compartment in the back for bioballs, correct?
Did yours come with the protein skimmer option?
What kind of substrate do you have, sand or crushed coral?
How deep is it?
Do you have any power heads in the tank for additional flow or just the return pump from the rear chamber?
How many gallons per hour is that pump rated for?

Please post a picture of your tank so we can see the decorations and set up too. That will help somewhat. Some fish need lots of hiding places to be secure in their surroundings. It doesn’t sound like you have that.

I’m assuming this is going to be a Fish Only tank.

As Mike said, a large baggie or tupperware container will do for the fish return to the lfs. Ask them for store credit till you are ready to add the livestock you really want.

BTW, my niece just moved to SD from Vegas. I hope to get out there later this year for a quick visit.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #14

Location: I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fitting that I have an aquarium!
Wow - a lot of questions!
The acrylic tank has a removable acrylic window in front. The back is open right now, but I can purchase acrylic covers for it, which I intend to do.
I chose coarse substrate - 20 lbs.
I've attached pix of the tank (I believe I have lots of hiding spaces) and also clipped a pic of the back from the manufacturer's website (advanceaquatanks.com)
Yes, surface of water is rippled.
Yes, compartment for bioballs.
Yes, protein skimmer option.
Just the return pump, no powerheads. Can't tell you how many gallons per hour tanks is rated for. I read propaganda from tank purchase and went to website but couldn't find out.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0378.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	14943   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0379.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	14944  

Attached Images

Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow... that's really a 50g? My sense of scale must be off because it sure looks smaller than my 46g.

Anyway... with the bioballs, you should be OK with the 5 fish. Not sure if you'd want to go with more. If you do, you're probably going to be fighting high nitrates. That isn't an issue if you're not going with corals, but you still want to keep them below 40 or so for the fishes sake. Maybe work your way up to the 5 fish (waiting at least a month in between fish) and wait a few months and see where your nitrates are at. That, ultimately, will be the deciding factor.

While those plastic corals look great now, just be aware that they won't always look that good. I have one for my quarantine tank, and it looks pretty darn grungy after 6 weeks! Just wanted to give you a heads up that they are going to be a maintenance issue as your tank matures. The nice thing about real coral is that they clean themselves!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nice Tank!! I have heard a lot of good things about these tanks. Expensive but hey they come with everything. And i guess if you factor in all the stuff, its prolly a lil cheaper. Im just wondering where they are hiding all the gallons? There must be something im not seeing. . . ? I cant believe that is 50 gallons? Maybe it just looks smaller in the pic or something. But neways Kurt is right about the fake corals. They do look pretty but they will all be brown here in a few weeks..
Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #17

How do you all thinking I should clean the fake corals? Take the whole rock and attachments out of the tank and scrub furiously, but only doing one at a time so as not to freak out the fish?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Personally, I would remove the fake corals. I have seen too many professional toxicity reports coming from standard fake decor and even some from the more commercial venues. Besides, a natural display is healthier for your livestock in the long run using live rock, which you need more of. Depending on the manufacturer of the corals, just soft scrubbing can be applied or can be bleached as long as the composition isn't compromised. Are the bioballs fully submerged in water?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

For cleaning the fake corals, I would probably soak overnight in white vinegar and then clean and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse....rinse.

The pump should have a sticker on that includes that information, or post the name and model number of the pump and someone here can try to find out.

Although pretty (for now) the tank looks a little bare to me. Could be cause I'm used to looking at reef tanks with lots of LR.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with Innovator. I have seen plenty of problems with using "fake" Deco, with water problems. Although i think that they are pretty in your tank. I try to keep it looking as natural and real as possible. Once they get grunged up that natural look will die cause obv corals clean themselves, and yea you can keep cleaning em but just a big hassle in the long run. I try to recreate the ocean in my aquarium by all means necessary. My Wife always wants to put these weird things in my tank that look about as real as pamela andersons breast...lol!!! Or she will pick plants that are from freshwater ecosystems and think that you can just throw em in and they will be fine...haha Im rambling take care

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com