Does anyone know if the sand shifting gobbies really jump from open tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know if the sand shifting gobbies really jump from open tanks?
I was just reading an article saying that they can jump from open aquariums I thought they only stayed down on the sand shifting through it.

yes they often jump if startled or for seemingly unknown reasons they just leap right out of the tank

thank you I know I will probably not be getting that fish then back to the book trying to find good fishes for my newly started mini reef setting.

I had my pink spotted goby jump into my overflow. He was in there for a few months before I found him there.

Was he okay? I am guessing that food does pass through the overflow box???
I am going this weekend to make my final desicion on which tank to get. However it will be a Reef Ready tank. Unless someone can prove to me that my fears of the overflow box doing actually that overflow when I am not at home if the electricity should go out.

I've had yellow clown gobies and percs in my overflow. I've even found one perc on the floor beside the tank one morning. A cover is a good idea.

I was told in one of the many threads that having a cover is not a good idea. I am thinking it had something to do with the oxygen not being able to escape so now I am totally confused because I want to get the glass covers so that the salt creep will not get on the light cover lens "plastic shield cover" that protects the light bulbs....

It will affect your PH more than O2. Your skimmer will be doing a huge exchange of gasses on your water.

I have been looking at several different Skimmers since mine broke a while back and I know some several people perfer Reef Oct. but I might have a small chance of winning a C-1800 Stand Alone or In Sump skimmer by Red Sea and wandered if this is a good one or not?

iI would consider a netting to go over the top. I dont use anything over top of my tank. That was the only jumping experience I had.

I was not able to view the clip they have it blocked here at work. What is the link name to look it up on U-Tube and I can view it on my blackberry???

The netting is UV protected. It will not change anything that isn't already happening with your tank. Only jumping. Not sure what "crude from the salt creep" is.

Sorry about that I misspelled it: (Corrosion or Corrode) What salt does to all metal objects and makes it rusty.???

I made my covers from the netting, framed with PVC quarter round stainless steel screws ( I hear there are vinyl ones out there too), and pvc glue. No rusting with that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom