Does aptasia grow in sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hutto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please could you tell me if aptasia grows in sand or only on rock.

I have a few aptasia popping up here and there on my rock which is quite annoying and I wonder if I take all the rock out and replace with new purchase live rock will the problem still be there, or should I strip the tank, clean it and start again with new sand etc.

Ive never had it in the sand (That I know of), but I would think if it could attatch itself it would grow.

It sure does. Also, No need to strip your tank, or remove all the live rock, Just go buy a couple peppermint shrimp, They should eat it all up.

I got some great advice from some folks on this site.....rather than stirring up your tank etc why not just inject the aptasia with a mixture of pickling lime and ro/di water? It works very well. I bought 3 peppermint shrimp to attack the aptasia and it didn't work. I ended up getting rid of them by treating with the pickling lime/water mix.

HTH

I got some great advice from some folks on this site.....rather than stirring up your tank etc why not just inject the aptasia with a mixture of pickling lime and ro/di water? It works very well. I bought 3 peppermint shrimp to attack the aptasia and it didn't work. I ended up getting rid of them by treating with the pickling lime/water mix.

HTH
That wouuld be my couse of action. Try not to disturb them as much as possible. they bread off easily and then you willl have a real problem.

HTH

Only problem is if there are aptasia growing in place you cannot get to, Then i'd go Peppermint Shrimp + injection.

Maybe some pics just to make sure were dealing with Aptasia? If they are on the sand it is possible you could scoop up a handful of the sand it's growing on and throw it out? Just so yoou don't have to go injecting stuff into your tank. :)

I just found one growing on the intake pipe of my sump. They will grow anywhere they can. My husband thinks they are great! I keep slowly killing them off when he isn't looking so they don't take over the tank, leaving his fvorite. He is completely crazy!!! I like the pepermint shrimp idea! That way he can't blame me!

I made a big mistake awhile back when I tried to clean out my sump. This mistake blew a bunch of aiptasia into lnto my DT. I'm still working on getting rid of them from the DT. Slow and steady wins the race.

Back
Top Bottom