Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We have a rodi unit for the simple fact of not staring another problem I dont want to contend with. Algae is a serious problem if not kept in check. I would reccomend buying from a lfs if possible untill you can buy your own, Currently I'm using 20 gallons a day without water changes to the main tank so it will add up after a while. Save up and buy you a ro unit when you can and you will not regret it.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

BYOB WAter is available at certain supermarkets and healthfood stores. You just bring your own bottle and fill up. It is Ro, not sure about the DI part.

I spent $150.00 at home depot for a good system. It mounts under the sink, has only a gallon storage tank, but my wife and I use it as regular drinking water too.

They Have systems on ebay for around $90

Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

its cheaper to buy a new unit over replacing the filter thats the sad part :-/
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are several types of units that can be bought.....
Just RO and RO/DI and Kold Steril
RO/DI is the best you can get removes 99%
RO removes less then RO/DI
Kold Steril removes bad things leaving good.
Do your home work before you buy any unit.
I suggest RO/DI
HD sells RO units but you can get a better deal online for a RO/DI unit.
Distilled water add up how much it costs and how much you will need to fill up your system and how much you need to top off water..... Bet thats close to the price of a RO or RO/DI unit. Don't waste you money buying bottled water unless you can get a good deal somewhere.
This is not a cheap hobby as your finding out.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New York has to have them, NY has everything

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

An alternative I have found for small tanks is the Aquarium Pharmacuticals "Tap Water Filter" resin deionization unit. I used this with great success for softening the water filling my old 55 gallon tank when I was breeding fresh water angelfish. It only lasts about 50 gallons, so it is not economical for very large tanks, but if your doing nanos (30 gallons or under) and you can't justify $150+ for a reverse osmosis unit, it's more convienent than hauling 7 buckets or 30 empty milk jugs to the RO water vending machine.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...+113409+113565
Old 01-25-2005, 06:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right now NY (at least my yard) has 16" of fresh snow. I'm going to fill some containers with it - it's "acid snow", but I'm going to test it for other things when it melts. I have to believe that it's free of nitrates and phosphates, but I'm not sure about particles. I live about 2 hrs north of the NY city so pollution is not a real concern. We'll see....

It's a heat wave in NY today....5:30 am and it's already 20 degrees. Yesterday was -11.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I use my Baracuda and I love it.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to fill some containers with it - it's "acid snow"

hehehe get the stuff by the street has some salt in it already lololo j/k
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
hehehe get the stuff by the street has some salt in it already lololo

Wise guy, eh?

The town snowplow piles 3-5 ft of the salty chunks right in front of the fire hydrant on my peaceful little dead-end street, but they'll slap me with a fine if I blow or shovel my snow into the street.

What a world.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com