Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does EVERYONE use RO/DI water?

I tested my tap water for nitrates and it reads 0. Is it really neessary to us RO/DI water? Does anyone out there use tap water? My system will be FOWLR (for the time being), so can I get away with tap water for now?

When mixing my sea water, will a carbon filter on the powerhead help reduce/eliminate any metals which may be present?

Still learning, still asking questions......

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

nitrates in your tap isnt really the issue or what ya should be looking at ! need to test your phosphate levels ! or get a tds meter and see what levels your at !
imo for a fish only you can get by with tap but for the long term health of the fish it could cause probs on their liver to so heavy metals !

Old 01-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went straight to RO/DI when starting my SW tank as I have had nothing but Algae problem in my FW tank with Tap Water. I have well water...and it has 150ppm of stuff based on my TDS meter (total dissolved solids) from the tap. I am sure that I have Phosphate and Silica...which help with my algae problem. I am using total RO/DI with my SW and a 50:50 mix with Tap and RO/DI with my FW. I hope this help things. With me...I think it was a necessity due to the well water. Many people have had good luck with tap water too....I knew I would not.

And just and edit....
During cycling of my SW tank...one morning it was nice clean looking...at night I came home and the tank was covered in green algae...the substrate, base rock, even free floating on top. I did nothing...and in 3 days...it burned itself out only leaving white algae skeleton residue dust (this is actually what Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is). When I saw that...I knew i chose correctly to go with RO/DI.

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
need to test your phosphate levels
It's halftime, so I'm going to check the phosphates in my tap water right now. Thanks for the info.

Go Vikings!!! (Yeah, right.)

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tap water phosphate read around 0.50, perhaps a little less -it's hard to judge to color chart vs the water. It's definitely under 1.00. Too high?

My hope is that it will do for FOWLR but perhaps not for a full blown reef. Any advice? I'd like to postpone the RO water expense and start with this water for FOWLR. I guess I could eventually purchase an RO unit, but right now I'm straining my budget as it is.

Any ideas?

Livestock I added:

Old 01-23-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I get RO/DI from my LFS. I can't afford a unit yet, so that's any easy route to keep my FOWLR happy with no algae blooms or cyano outbreaks.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use only tap water but my tap has no traces of phosphates.IMO if it's just for a fo or fowlr you might be able to get away with it and maybe just add a phospate sponge to your filter system. Then maybe just use bottled water for your water changes and it won't cost so much. Eventually it would all be good water without the initial cash outlay of filling your entire tank with ro water. If you have a couple of 5 gallon buckets you could even go to one of those byob water stands and get it for .25 or 5 for a dollar.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes most of us do use RO filters. Dont look at it as an expense but more as an investment. I use my RO filter for more than just tank water. For a FOWLR you should be ok with tap water as long as your tap water is somewhat 'clean'.

There are many things that could be in tap water that our simple aquarists test kits wont pickup on. STuff like heavy metals, fertilizers ,etc. An RO filter will filter out 99% of that and give you very near to pure water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you plan on using bottled water be sure to use distilled water. The spring waters and drinking waters may have some other things in it. I use distilled after having phosphate and nitrate problems from my tap water.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If you have a couple of 5 gallon buckets you could even go to one of those byob water stands and get it for .25 or 5 for a dollar.
byob water stands? I don't think we have these here in NY - I've never heard of them. What exactly are they? Distilled water? Sounds interesting.

Livestock I added:

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com