Does green algae on my tank change water quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meinporsche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I like to leave the green algae that grows on the back of my tank for my foxface to eat. He seems to like picking at it. Does this change the quality of my water? I did notice that my pH went down to about 7.8 but everything else is 0. I changed about 5 of the 125 gallons and added some pH stablizer. It has came up to about 8.0, but I would still like it about 8.2. Any suggestions?

No, it shouldn't affect your water chemistry at all. If anything, it's what's keeping your nitrates at zero, since algae consumes nitrates. Instead of adding pH stabilizer, which i advise against since adding chemicals to a SW tank is not needed at all, try doing a water change larger than 5G. 5G out of 125G is practically nothing. Try doing a 10 or 15, even a 25% water change. Also, do you have enough surface agitation? Try pointing a powerhead up at the water surface so you get good agitation.

I do get pretty good movement at the surface and my protein skimmer puts alot of bubbles in the water. I was going to do a larger water change after I got some input about the algae. I didn't think that having it in there would hurt anything. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom