Does My Puffer need more food than being fed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishy1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon SW Tank, that has been cycling with just live rock and live sand for about a month, put in a dog face puffer and snowflake eel last week. These two have been together for he last 2 years , thanks to previous owner.
The pet shop owner told us to feed them two cubes of frozen squid twice a day, (thats one cube per fish per feeding). Well, the Eel cant be fed without a feeding stick, or the puffer will get to it first. Today, the eel and puffer both seemed like they were starving.

Should I be feeding them something else? :?: :?:

welcome to aquariumadvice...how large are these fish now? My eels eat large fresh/frozen shrimp, the size that is about 50 per pound. (this can be found at the local grocer). You can also target feed the fish alot easier with an item such as this.

I will also mention to you, in case you were not aware of it, that puffer gets huge and really should be housed in a much larger tank. The minimum recommended tank size is a hundred gallon.
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=7&item_id=35

Another thing of note is that both the fish are large waste producers. I do not know anything about your set up, but I would recommend using a good skimmer and tons of filtration on a tank that size.

I agree that your tank will eventually become to small for it`s occupants. And I also agree with Mrs Hara that feeding those messy eaters twice a day will really call for a tall order of filtration and skimming.

i think the fish could eat a bit more, your current filtration (LR or mechanical) plus a clean up crew (if the puffer hasn't eatten them) should be more than enough keep the tank up, depending on fish size.

is the fish:tank ratio is out of sync, you could get dirty water real fast regardless of how much your feeding them

(LR or mechanical) plus a clean up crew (if the puffer hasn't eatten them) should be more than enough keep the tank up, depending on fish size.

seeing as pounds of rock, nor types of filtration was listed...how can you make that assumption?

Back
Top Bottom