Dog face Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just redid my 98 gallon cube and added a snowflake eel, dogface puffer, blue hippo tang, and a yellow tang. I have had this tank for a while but just changed it's contents. What I am unsure of if a clean up crew with the puffer. I have always had snails, hermits, emerald crabs, starfish and shrimp. I am pretty sure the shrimp is a bad idea, but I would love to hear what others have done. I really don't want to buy an expensive snack for someone. Thanks in advance.:confused::thanks:

You will not be able to have a clean up crew with those tankmates. The puffer will eat all of those. The snowflake most of them.

Yes, the puffer will eat all the shrimp, crabs, and small snails. I have a porcupine puffer. I buy crabs and snails knowing that he is going to eat them eventually. The small ones go first. The larger ones last for a couple months sometimes. I usually buy the biggest turbo snails I can find. Nassarius snails seem to be his favorite.

Keep in mind that they NEED to eat snails and crabs to file down their teeth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

puffer will eat inverts if you are like me I replenish snails and hermit's every 6 months , It is a natural instinct for puffers to snack on inverts ,

My wife wants a dog face puffer I love them too. than I read a article on there habits and growth spurts . than calculated the size tank that would house the puffer comfortably , 200g would be a tad much in my small mountain cabin . as they grow a little over a foot ,
good luck with your puffer they do have neat personality (y)

6 months? You have a non aggressive puffer, lol. Between my puffer, tusk and eel my crew is usually gone in a week except for the smart crabs and snails.

All my predators are trained to eat frozen food. I still buy live shrimp and snails to keep them interested. I feel like it gives them something to do to stay interested and it's good for their teeth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom