dog faced puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobberwobber

Aquarium Advice Regular
been looking into these, figured id ask here too,
girlfriend really wants this dog faced puffer at the local pet store. they have had it for ages, just reduced its price down t0 $40, which is still little steep but its the cutest fish. everytime we go in she has to go say hi to him/her. just curious how these fish are to look after? i understand they can be agressive? right now, we only have couple 3 stripe damsels and hermit crabs, but they all still fairely small, this puffer is quite big, probably about 3inches. is this a fight waiting to happen? anyone else got any of these and are they as entertaining as they seem? just looking for opinions on them..

They do grow large, about the size of a football so you will eventually need a 125g+ or get rid of the fish. As for personality, they are just like puppies always wanting attention...and food...moreso food lol. Make sure your filtration is up to par since they are messy eaters and defecaters : p They are relatively shy and won't dominate a tank. I love poofers, but long-term I wouldn't keep one in a 55g.

Puffers are cool guys to have. As Innovator said they do kinda act like puppies. My brother has one and when you walk by the tank he'll follow you around, but what's really funny if he sees you going near the feeder fish tank he gets excited and starts flapping his fins everywhere and swimming back and forth really fast lol, definitely a great personality.

Unfortunately in your case, he'd eventually eat your hermits and maybe even the Damsels if he can catch them. It's best to keep them with fish their own size to prevent tank mates from becoming a snack.

The dogface puffer will grow to about 13 inches and all your other fish will disappear. He should be in at least a 75g tank. He will turn sort of ugly when he gets older. My advice, don't buy it. Get the girlfriend a real dog.:cat:

yeah i convinced her to wait. i have a 75gal, with tropical, had 4 tinfoil and 2 bala but we lost 2 tinfoil last week. huge spike in amonia for some reason. has 2 filters, and been running for about 2 years without a problem. back down again now, dont know what happened. i love the tank, love the wave front to it, considered swapping them out, making that the salt and the 55 the tropical but those balas like the space.... told her we will keep eye open for a good large tank, 90gal or something, then put that downstairs and link the 2 sw tanks together.. then she can have her doggie... i wont suggest the real dog though!!! fish dont need walks or get on the bed....

Sounds like a good plan. I should practice what I preach, I am looking for a new tank to set up a Clown Trigger and Dogface puffer. My wife thinks the puffer is really cute also. I am looking at trying to find a used 180g, but we also have a real dog and he is much more costly and high maintenance, I agree.:cat:

Back
Top Bottom