Dogface Puffer Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I received a dogface puffer 5 days ago who is about 1 year old caught from the wild and is very portly (lots of body fat) for a dogface. However, I cannot get him to take any food. He acts and swims around normally, but puts his nose up to any food I offer. I have tried the following multiple times: Frozen Krill, Frozen Mysis Shrimp, Frozen Brine, Fresh Mussels, Scallops, Pellets, Shrimp Pellets. Not sure what else I should try or if I should wait it out. If I wait it out, not sure how long and then what?:thanks:

Try good ol regular table shrimp(shell on)....I recently got a spiny box and he LOVES it...I am a bit surprised he hasn't devoured any of the other stuff though...5 days is not terribly long,but its getting there..
Good luck

Try feeding live food like worms. After you get it to eat live, then you have to train it to eat dead food. I use tongs to hold dead food and wave it in front of my puff's face.

If your dogface is full grown, then it should eat a good meal ~2 per week. It will eat live food after several starving days. If it doesn't eat for over 1 week, then eliminate all other possibilities that could stress your puff (i.e. small tank, too many tankmates, bad water). Always a good idea to treat your puff with some medicine for internal parasites.

Terrance said:
Try feeding live food like worms. After you get it to eat live, then you have to train it to eat dead food. I use tongs to hold dead food and wave it in front of my puff's face.

If your dogface is full grown, then it should eat a good meal ~2 per week. It will eat live food after several starving days. If it doesn't eat for over 1 week, then eliminate all other possibilities that could stress your puff (i.e. small tank, too many tankmates, bad water). Always a good idea to treat your puff with some medicine for internal parasites.

Try seaweed. A lot of people think of puffers as being carnivores but the truth is they eat lots of seaweed in the wild.

Oh right I forgot about that. They love macroalgae and it should be included as part of their regular diet. Perhaps you could feed dried nori.

My Dogface and Blue Spotted Toby love the dried Nori. I also use soft Spirulina pellets that sink, as well as, sinking algae wafers. I was using grazing blocks but my lfs has been having trouble getting them in stock.

Back
Top Bottom