Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dogface Puffer Owners Only

I need your advice on a dogface puffer. I would like to purchase one, but I am a bit concerned about their teeth. I have other puffers and I do not want to get myself into a situation where I am likely to have to cut down or shave his teeth. My questions is for current dogface puffer owners and what your experiece is around having to shave down teeth. For those of you that do, why do you think this is so (i.e. diet, other) and for those of you who have not had to do so (how long have you owned the puffer and what do you attribute not having to shave the teeth to. If diet, what exactly and where do you get it?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi there, I have a dogface puffer (since Christmas 09) and I havent ever had to shave his teeth. I make sure to feed him 'hard' things like shrimp in the shell, crab in the shell etc.. Good luck! And go for it! Mine is my favorite! Tons of personality! He get's 'angry' and ignores me sometimes, or rolls his eyes lol. He recognizes us and follows the children etc. He is awesome.

kee

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hi

I've had the little guy for 3 weeks now. Puff daddy as my son calls him has great personality and is our favorite.. Swims all over the tank and doesn't mind getting cleaned by the porkfish... I feed him Mysis shrimp and silversides.. he'll even go for flakes and pellets.. He lets us pet him on his head or tummy and loves takin pics.. I doubt I'll be shaving his teeth..those teeth are a great conversational piece when freinds come over......

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0264.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24550  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Like was said, they need something hard to chew on to wear down their teeth, same as like cats need scratching posts and whatnot.
I hope he isnt going into your 44g?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

He is going into a 120 gallon that I set up a few months ago
Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Should be a nice home, hope he does well.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We have our dog-face puffer for a little over a month, and I was told to avoid any shaving or clipping of the teeth, that you provide plenty of LR for him to nip at...we already have almost 35lbs, so he has a lot to shave himself down. Just like a regular dogs nails on concrete don't have to trimmed if he is walked enough, the fish can "shave" his own teeth down with the LR. Good Luck...our Peetie the puffer is awesome!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not rely on live rock to do the job. Some puffers never nip at the rock as they have no reason to. I have a puffer in the basement that never nips at the rock and have already had to shave his teeth once. He is two years old.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had mine for about 3 years and never had to do anything with his teeth. I see him every now and again picking at LR.

110 Gallon FOWLR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com