Dont know what kind of shark i bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always heard that you will eventually need a nice, 10 foot by 6 foot wide tank for most sharks to be happy (from research, no experience, don't bite please :)).

Would love to hear you explain how a 3.5 foot shark can live its whole life in a 2 foot wide tank. While it won't die immediately because of it. It certainly won't live or grow to its potential.

Its not so much the gallons of the tank, its the footprint of the tank. I'd say an absolute MINIMUM of 6'x3'. Sharks get big and need room to swim, thus the need for big tanks. If you don't want to hear people tell you they need one, either don't buy the shark or give it the appropriate sized ta

I have had several friends keep bamboo sharks in their tanks and have seen the rate at which they grow over several years, 1 of them is in 225G and is about 2.5 ft and is about 5 years old and will eat from is hand and is happy as can be.These sharks need a tank that give it suitable room to turn around and 2ft provides that at its full growth,IME a 180G will house a single bamboo shark for most of its life. I have seen a lot of sharks in peoples homes, some in HUGE aquariums and some in 200G+ i seldom have seen any sharks over 3+ and most don't grow that big or at a fast rate. Just keep the nitrates down, provide good water quality and feeding and your fine, i realize there are always people that will not agree with me, but frankly i really don't care, I'm just stating of what i have seen in this hobby that will work in my own experience, I'm just telling a hobbyist that wants a shark or has one that in fact he can have one, and doesn't need to take out a small loan to own one, because a bunch of know it alls on a forum tell him the sharks not happy and needs sea world in his living room in order to own one.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I have always heard that you will eventually need a nice, 10 foot by 6 foot wide tank for most sharks to be happy (from research, no experience, don't bite please :)).

That size would be perfectly fine, don't even have to go quite that big but, bigger the better. I haven't owned one yet, but I plan on it. Research is a huge part of this hobby.

Just because one person has done it, does that make it right? Confining a huge creature to a small space? Dont "settle" when it comes to sharks, or fish for that matter. If you buy it, give it adequite living conditions, not ones that will work in your opinion. Thats terrible!

Errolp I respect your experience and knowledge. Though, to me though its alot like putting a blue tang in a 10 gallon because at the moment its only an inch or 2 long. They still need space. Just my opinion, people are gonna do what they're gonna do.

Just because one person has done it, does that make it right? Confining a huge creature to a small space? Dont "settle" when it comes to sharks, or fish for that matter. If you buy it, give it adequite living conditions, not ones that will work in your opinion. Thats terrible!

What you deem adequate can differ a lot between what other people feel is " adequate". A shark is not a HUGE creature, a shark can take years to obtain its full 3.5ft and it probably won't even reach that, most don't. Its not my opinion that I'm stating here, its what i know to work, and any PRACTICAL hobbyist that wants a shark that walks into a LFS to buy a shark I guarantee 70% will say a shark in a 180G+ will be fine for the entirety if its life, my professors of marine bio at my school have said they feel a 180G will be fine for a bamboo shark for most of its life. Let me guess you feel a 500G maybe fine for a baby bamboo shark?? or should we bump it up to a 1000G?? or maybe i can adopt a small beach and i can make one of those nets like in flipper and keep it in there...that way it will be happy?

I bet 80-90% of LFS owners will tell you whatever it is you want to hear if you're going to spend $100 on a shark lol. I don't think their opinions are exactly reputable.

A smaller bamboo like a hasslet's, no problem. A 3 footer like the black banded cat, I wouldn't do it.

ErrolP said:
What you deem adequate can differ a lot between what other people feel is " adequate". A shark is not a HUGE creature, a shark can take years to obtain its full 3.5ft and it probably won't even reach that, most don't. Its not my opinion that I'm stating here, its what i know to work, and any PRACTICAL hobbyist that wants a shark that walks into a LFS to buy a shark I guarantee 70% will say a shark in a 180G+ will be fine for the entirety if its life, my professors of marine bio at my school have said they feel a 180G will be fine for a bamboo shark for most of its life. Let me guess you feel a 500G maybe fine for a baby bamboo shark?? or should we bump it up to a 1000G?? or maybe i can adopt a small beach and i can make one of those nets like in flipper and keep it in there...that way it will be happy?

Most lfs owners will just tell you want to hear, and most fall for it. I agree, 500 gallons is impractical, and no you dont have to rent a beach..? But at least give the guy enough room as an adult were it can turn around in a tank without it having to bend and touch its face to its tail

Gboy66 said:
+1

If you cant give it the proper sized tank, dont buy it!
ErrolP, how can it possibly live in a tank that it wont be able to turn around in as an adult? Thats like you living in a closet.
Granted, it will be fine for awhile, but dont ever assume that the 210 it its permanent home.

..a 3 foot shark could easily turn around in a 2 foot tank. It could probably turn around in a 1 foot tank. Their bodies are cartilage and very flexible. Not saying it should be kept in a 2ft wide tank though

And sharks curve their bodies when making sharp turns anyway

tarpon said:
..a 3 foot shark could easily turn around in a 2 foot tank. It could probably turn around in a 1 foot tank. Their bodies are cartilage and very flexible. Not saying it should be kept in a 2ft wide tank though

And sharks curve their bodies when making sharp turns anyway

It would have to turn aroind constantly in a tank that size, then.

First of all, marine biology doew not include keeping fish and invertabrates in captivity. It is the study of behavior and anatomy and things like that. Yes, a 210g will keep the shark alive, but you could technically live in a closet. I would suggest a 500g tank. The length of the tank should be atleest 2.5 times the length, and the width at least 1.5 or over 1. And not many sharks reach theirfull size because they die because of a small home. Saying it could live in a 180 is like saying you could put one in a 125 and it would be pushing it. You cant.

I will chime in. I currently own a Japanese leopard Coral catshark. And whitespotted bamboo shark. If that tank has nothing else in it and I mean nothing else, I will survive. You will be changing the water at least once a week and the shark will be miserable. The gallons are important but not as much as the foot print. That particular shark would be very happy in a tank that is 5ft long and at least 3ft wide. They are very lazy and don't move much. Yes they can turn in very tight corners but they will rub themselves to the point of injury and eventual death in a 2ft wide tank. That shark will get to about (male 3ft or remain 3.5ft) in captivity and be very thick. The mass of the fish will be your problem. My tank houses a full grown coral catshark, 2 ft bamboo and a 2 ft Japanese leopard (banded houndshark). Stingray zebra eel and other items. It is 1000 gallons and 7ft x 7ft x 3ft. Trust me you will need the room and if that is all the space u have you need use the finest sand substrate and remove all the rock. Good luck but that is going to be a rough ride in that tank for h and the shark. And I am not one of those you need a swimming pool for sharks kind of guys. This an honest pushing it to the bare limit answer.

Some pics of my setup.

Attachments

• image-1384999889.jpg
    image-1384999889.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3415590375.jpg
    image-3415590375.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2697538589.jpg
    image-2697538589.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3713397414.jpg
    image-3713397414.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 137
  • image-515825472.jpg
    image-515825472.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 137
I realize this is an old thread but I have to say, I'm more upset that the OP didn't research the fish before buying it more than it not being in the proper tank size for when it hopefully eventually reaches maturity. These animals are not cheap so why for heaven's sake would you plunk down that kind of cash blind? It sounds to me like the store he got it from didn't take the time to educate him either. Double blame from my aspect (and I'm a former retailer!!!)
People, listen up!! RESEARCH YOUR PURCHASES BEFORE YOU BUY THEM!! In today's world, you can google anything right from the shop before you decide to buy it. If you need to ask "ID this for me please" on this or any site, it shouldn't be in your tank yet. You wouldn't do that for a car, or a horse, or a snake after you buy it would you? Don't do it on a fish either.

I now relinquish my soap box. ;)

I find it funny that the link someone supplied in the beginning of this thread said that the shark the OP purchased should be housed in a 180 gallon tank minimal. Yet everyone is blasting the OP for keeping it in a 210 gallon tank.

Again this is just a question.

Who's the experts and who is just giving opinion?

Brownbanded Bamboo Shark Profile - Information About Brownbanded Bamboo or Cat Sharks

FreshMarine.com - Black Banded Cat Shark - Chiloscyllium punctatum - Brownbanded Bamboo Shark - Buy Cheap Banded Cat Shark at Wholesale

Brown Banded Bamboo Shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum | REPTAQUATICS.COM

So who is right? Many more websites and experts say that the Shark can be housed in a 180 while everyone opinion is 500. Me personally I think you should give the animal the biggest possible tank that you can afford as long as you can meet the minimal requirements.

Again this is just a question.

Who's the experts and who is just giving opinion?

Brownbanded Bamboo Shark Profile - Information About Brownbanded Bamboo or Cat Sharks

FreshMarine.com - Black Banded Cat Shark - Chiloscyllium punctatum - Brownbanded Bamboo Shark - Buy Cheap Banded Cat Shark at Wholesale

Brown Banded Bamboo Shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum | REPTAQUATICS.COM

So who is right? Many more websites and experts say that the Shark can be housed in a 180 while everyone opinion is 500.

I understand what you are saying but I can promise you that a 3.5 foot shark connot live in a tank that is 6ft x 2ft and be healthy and unstressed. I own this shark and he is 2ft and I can tell you that not only would the space be the problem but also the water quality you would have tomaintain the proper water conditions which would be hard with that big of a shark in that small of water. As for space it is not the gallons as much as it is the foot print. The shark would be better off in a 4ft x 4ft than in that. They dont swim like normal fish. This is what they would look like in a take that small. See video.

female whitespotted bamboo sharks - YouTube

These are not even full grown. I hope you can see why this tank will be hard to keep this sharks in.

I think common sense dictates it's probably not a good idea to attempt to keep a fish that may grow to 40"+ in a tank 72" x 24".

As far as who's the expert, I think Bob Fenner can be considered an expert.
Sharks
"First of all the obvious, the bigger the tank, the better. AT LEAST three times the length and twice the width of the maximum size of the species you have in mind... "

Back
Top Bottom