Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

First of all, marine biology doew not include keeping fish and invertabrates in captivity. It is the study of behavior and anatomy and things like that. Yes, a 210g will keep the shark alive, but you could technically live in a closet. I would suggest a 500g tank. The length of the tank should be atleest 2.5 times the length, and the width at least 1.5 or over 1. And not many sharks reach theirfull size because they die because of a small home. Saying it could live in a 180 is like saying you could put one in a 125 and it would be pushing it. You cant.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will chime in. I currently own a Japanese leopard Coral catshark. And whitespotted bamboo shark. If that tank has nothing else in it and I mean nothing else, I will survive. You will be changing the water at least once a week and the shark will be miserable. The gallons are important but not as much as the foot print. That particular shark would be very happy in a tank that is 5ft long and at least 3ft wide. They are very lazy and don't move much. Yes they can turn in very tight corners but they will rub themselves to the point of injury and eventual death in a 2ft wide tank. That shark will get to about (male 3ft or remain 3.5ft) in captivity and be very thick. The mass of the fish will be your problem. My tank houses a full grown coral catshark, 2 ft bamboo and a 2 ft Japanese leopard (banded houndshark). Stingray zebra eel and other items. It is 1000 gallons and 7ft x 7ft x 3ft. Trust me you will need the room and if that is all the space u have you need use the finest sand substrate and remove all the rock. Good luck but that is going to be a rough ride in that tank for h and the shark. And I am not one of those you need a swimming pool for sharks kind of guys. This an honest pushing it to the bare limit answer.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some pics of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1384999889.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	143147   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3415590375.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	143148  

Name:	image-2697538589.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	143149   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3713397414.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	143150  

Name:	image-515825472.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	143151  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This thread is two years old
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91
This thread is two years old
Hahaha... that is a nice tank though!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I realize this is an old thread but I have to say, I'm more upset that the OP didn't research the fish before buying it more than it not being in the proper tank size for when it hopefully eventually reaches maturity. These animals are not cheap so why for heaven's sake would you plunk down that kind of cash blind? It sounds to me like the store he got it from didn't take the time to educate him either. Double blame from my aspect (and I'm a former retailer!!!)
People, listen up!! RESEARCH YOUR PURCHASES BEFORE YOU BUY THEM!! In today's world, you can google anything right from the shop before you decide to buy it. If you need to ask "ID this for me please" on this or any site, it shouldn't be in your tank yet. You wouldn't do that for a car, or a horse, or a snake after you buy it would you? Don't do it on a fish either.

I now relinquish my soap box.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I find it funny that the link someone supplied in the beginning of this thread said that the shark the OP purchased should be housed in a 180 gallon tank minimal. Yet everyone is blasting the OP for keeping it in a 210 gallon tank.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again this is just a question.

Who's the experts and who is just giving opinion?

Brownbanded Bamboo Shark Profile - Information About Brownbanded Bamboo or Cat Sharks

FreshMarine.com - Black Banded Cat Shark - Chiloscyllium punctatum - Brownbanded Bamboo Shark - Buy Cheap Banded Cat Shark at Wholesale

Brown Banded Bamboo Shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum | REPTAQUATICS.COM

So who is right? Many more websites and experts say that the Shark can be housed in a 180 while everyone opinion is 500. Me personally I think you should give the animal the biggest possible tank that you can afford as long as you can meet the minimal requirements.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Again this is just a question.

Who's the experts and who is just giving opinion?

Brownbanded Bamboo Shark Profile - Information About Brownbanded Bamboo or Cat Sharks

FreshMarine.com - Black Banded Cat Shark - Chiloscyllium punctatum - Brownbanded Bamboo Shark - Buy Cheap Banded Cat Shark at Wholesale

Brown Banded Bamboo Shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum | REPTAQUATICS.COM

So who is right? Many more websites and experts say that the Shark can be housed in a 180 while everyone opinion is 500.

I understand what you are saying but I can promise you that a 3.5 foot shark connot live in a tank that is 6ft x 2ft and be healthy and unstressed. I own this shark and he is 2ft and I can tell you that not only would the space be the problem but also the water quality you would have tomaintain the proper water conditions which would be hard with that big of a shark in that small of water. As for space it is not the gallons as much as it is the foot print. The shark would be better off in a 4ft x 4ft than in that. They dont swim like normal fish. This is what they would look like in a take that small. See video.

female whitespotted bamboo sharks - YouTube

These are not even full grown. I hope you can see why this tank will be hard to keep this sharks in.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I think common sense dictates it's probably not a good idea to attempt to keep a fish that may grow to 40"+ in a tank 72" x 24".

As far as who's the expert, I think Bob Fenner can be considered an expert.
Sharks
"First of all the obvious, the bigger the tank, the better. AT LEAST three times the length and twice the width of the maximum size of the species you have in mind... "

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com