Dont know who ate my clown fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark The Kidd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Only had him for about 4weeks until one day he wasn't there. I've got a lunar wrasse medium 6inch panther grouper 3inch and had a maroon clown fish 4inch and a snowflake eel 12inch and a yellow head eel about 5inch. My snowflake seems peaceful but he's much bigger than my yellow head. My yellow head seems more aggressive but he's way smaller cant really see him eating my clown fish :/

That's a bunch of fairly aggressive fish in a tank with a fairly territorial fish. How big is your tank? Just a guess, but maybe it was simply stressed, other fish saw it was weak and took it out or just ate it after it died.

Eels and groupers are predators and not recommended to be housed with clowns. They feed on fish like clowns, so I would suspect those 3. Once the clown is wounded they will tear it appart.
Is this the same 50 gal tank you haven't had much luck with so far? Yellow tang, puffer, lionfish... now a clown.

Is this the same 50 gal tank you haven't had much luck with so far? Yellow tang, puffer, lionfish... now a clown.

Hopefully not, but if so, that is probably what happened. That grouper will get HUGE (over 16") and very aggressive. That many aggressive fish in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. None of those fish would be okay, long term, in a 50g.

Eels and groupers are predators and not recommended to be housed with clowns. They feed on fish like clowns, so I would suspect those 3. Once the clown is wounded they will tear it appart.

Yes it is... My yellow tang got ich a long time ago and infected my puffer and my lion fish with a huge ich break out a while back. Only my snowflake survived Now my tank is doing great for some time now :) except for my clown fish getting eaten but we can't learn if we don't make mistakes right? I was just curious because I thought I bought my clown at such a great size but guess not :/ yes I know that my tank is not huge but I will be upgrading tanks soon.

I would seriously wait until you upgrade to add more. Most of those fish need 120g, the grouper needs 300g+. Having a bunch of aggressive fish in a properly sized tank should work. Having them in a tank less than half what they need is going to cause problems.

we can't learn if we don't make mistakes right?

I have long since changed my opinion on that old saying. Instead I'm a firm believer in
"Don't learn from your mistakes. . . Learn from the mistakes of others. It's easier that way". And in saltwater systems - CHEAPER !

You have put hundreds of dollars into your fish. And based on your system most of us would have (and did) told you they were doomed right from the start. Before you waste any more money buying livestock, I would recommend you ask what people here with significant experience think.

Yes I'm not planning on adding anymore fish I know I've reached my limit for now. Thank you guys for your advice and your knowledge

Back
Top Bottom