Don't trust LFS need help moving my 30gal into new 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquadummy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Knowledge
I've had a 29 gal tank running for about 8 months successfully with:

-simple overhang crap filter
-powerhead
- regular cheapo light
-5 lbs or so of live rock
-1 foxface rabbit
-1 fireflame angel
-2 cleaner shrimp
-1 starfish(don't remember the name, skinny and moves fast, likes to hide from light)
-1 quarter sized green spotted mushroom(not sure the type got it for free)

i have been learning as i go

just got a 75 gallon for free so i bought a proclear wet/dry setup off ebay the 125g model and a red sea berlin x2 venturi also for it.

what i want to do which worries me is add my 30 gallon to it and prevent a cycle. i got this idea from the LFS

so i was going to add 80lbs of live sand (i read i can do 40 live 40 not alive) 5-10 more lbs of live rock and add 2 bottles of chemicals that only cost 15 bucks(to help prevent the cycle don't remember what she called , some 3 letter combonation.

then just add the water from my current tank fill the rest up with de-chloronated water and it shouldn't cycle

do you think i should just wait for the cycle?

does my equipment and setup make sense?

any ideas and comments would be much appreciated thanks.

John

Wait for the cylce, all that crap in a bottle is just that crap. If your current tank is cylced you shouldnt experience a to long of a cycle in the 75. The sand thing is fine. Equiptment makes sense and sounds fine. I would use RO/DI water if I were you not tap. JMO.

What I would do:
Add live sand 50/50 ratio is fine
Add New live rock.
Wait for tank to cycle.
Move over Live rock from 29 wait to see if there is die off or a mini cycle.
Wait for tank to cylce.
Wait some more and test and then re test
Then move live stock slowly if at all possible.
Thats what I would do.
My .02

fill the 75 with mostly base rock and a few choice pieces of live. Leave room for the rock from your 30, as you will add it later. Don't bother with live sand as it will become live from the cycle. Throw in a few raw shrimp and if you put some cured LR in it should cycle in very short time. All your base rock will then become live as well :)

Back
Top Bottom