Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dont understand where my fish are disappearing to...

Ok so 3 days ago I noticed that my foxface angelfish went missing... Looked everywhere inside and outside the tank still nowhere to be found... So I check levels and my nitrates spiked to between 40-80ppm.... Last night did a 15 gal water change (I have 60 gal tank) and all fish seemed fine ... This Morning I woke up checked nitrates and they are still high and now I have a missing emperor angelfish the top of tank is covered so there is no way any can get out even looked throughout top of filter don't see anything.... Someone please help me I am going insane don't know where they would be disappearing to .... HELP PLEASE!!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just was reading more And I read that Condy anemones will eat fish if they have re chance .... I had gotten 4 of these anemones when they were small being old they were harmless an over time I saw them grab and eat frozen food ... Is it possible they could have eaten my rabbitfish and emperor angel overnight withou me noticing???? I will attach pic of he anemones Romania size....please help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-548192053.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	27220   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3311976247.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	27221  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-117846193.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	27222  

Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you turned over some rocks and check to see if your fish are under there. If you have dead fish under a rock somewhere that would explain your spik ein nitrates.

Equally if your anemone did get your fish (doubtful but possible) that means they are not getting fed enough. But if for whatever reason they did eat them, their waste could also be contributing to the sudden spike in nitrate levels.

Now all this being said if your nitrates are at 40-60 then you need to get them down ASAP.

Start with a 40% water change immediately, should cut them to about 20-30, then do 30% in a day or two, then another 20% per day until they are under 5 again. Then keep doing 10% until they are at 0.

Go buy a bucket of salt :P and get your hands wet lol
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you ever hear any clicking sounds in the tank?

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
WMC
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do you have an overflow box/sump? Check in there and the sump. I noticed one of my yellowtail Damsels in my overflow box today and when I came back with a small net he/she was gone. I checked the drain to the sump and the sump and it is nowhere to be found. I'm a little baffled on this. A few years ago I rescued a small clownfish from my overflow box.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMC View Post
Do you have an overflow box/sump? Check in there and the sump. I noticed one of my yellowtail Damsels in my overflow box today and when I came back with a small net he/she was gone. I checked the drain to the sump and the sump and it is nowhere to be found. I'm a little baffled on this. A few years ago I rescued a small clownfish from my overflow box.

Does your overflow box not have a gated entry that goes above your water level?

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
WMC
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Does your overflow box not have a gated entry that goes above your water level?

Yes it does. The Damsel was about a 3/4 inch and must have wanted to get through the "gate". Strange thing is I have had this damsel for about a year and now it decides to check out the overflow box. My clown was only about 1/2-3/4 inch when it went through. I have already placed a mesh screen across the gate.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is funny. lol

what a water slide that would have been to the sump :P

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

No sump on my tank yet .... Too expensive to buy in I would like to build one has anyone ever done it and is it easy and cheaper?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could buy a 20 gallon sump for $20 used online. Does not get any cheaper than that. For a 60 gallon you don't really need a sump though. HOB is fine.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com