Dot Dash Butterfly Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flame Hawkfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I saw a dot dash butterfly at my local LFS and was wondering if it would fit in my 55 gallon FOWLR. I was also wondering how hard is it to take care of. Anyone's experience would help.

:thanks:
Flame Hawkfish

I have never kept this species of butterfly but have a small raccoon butterfly in my 75. They are beautiful fish. As long as it is a "small"( meaning 1.5-2inches) than you should be ok.

In terms of care, butterfly I'm general are delicate fish. They need pristine water quality and can be picky eaters. When I first got my raccoon butterfly she would eat anything. I tried frozen mysis soaked in garlic, then tried soaking it in that Angelixir stuff and she didn't go for it. Then I went out and got some live brine to entice her and she nibbled on it. But she didn't really eat for me until I got a live mussel or clam cut it open and set it in the tank. Then she went to town and has been great ever since.

If you love and fish and are willing to put in the time and effort go for it. I love butterfly fish.

As always just put in your time researching on the Internet tips for keeping/feeding butterfly fish before making the investment. Any other questions just ask!

+1 with mr x. As with all fish make sure you inspect them for any health issues before purchase. Clear eyes. Eating in store. No white spots or
Flashing. And a nice belly not one that curves inward.

Yes. From my personal experience and research Aurigas and raccoon butterfly's are the hardiest of butterfly's. just watch it eat before you buy it. And watch it for a few minutes to see if its eyes are clear, if its body is healthy and make sure it isn't flashing or rubbing itself against the glass or decorations.

Pyramids are supposed to be okay too, but Butterflies, in general, are difficult. I've never had luck with them and they are not even on my radar as possibilities anymore.

I agree. They are delicate, but they can be done and thrive. As long as you put your time and effort into researching all about the butterfly family of fish.

You will need to try different things to entice her to eat as well. As mentioned before, I had to try mysis soaked in garlic, seaweed strips and fresh clam / mussel in the half shell to get her to finally eat.

Also. I highly recommend quarantining her if you make the purchase. 1. to make sure she doesn't get ill from stress when you first bring her home and 2. It is much easier to get them to eat in a stress free tank by herself without competing for food

Back
Top Bottom