Dr Tim's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
...One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria

Ok so I have been reading up on this and still unsure how to use it etc.

I have a 30g saltwater aquarium that is not yet cycled.

So my question is can I just add the correct amount it says (2oz) then add my 2 clownfish straight after and I am cycled.

I would appreciate your input

Thanks

no always test your water parameters before you put any animals in the aquarium as you can cause irreparable damage long term even if they do live so better safe then sorry ime it is worth the wait crawl before you walk because in this hobby because usually those who lea in fall flat on their face hope this helps and good luck

Not familiar with this product but my answer is no. Add it, then watch the cycle thru a series of tests. Once cycle is complete, then only I would add them. There is quite a few products that say this and that that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. It would suck to have a mini cycle then once fish are introduced it decides to have the big one. I would witness a full cycle with test kit before putting anything in.

OK so I have just watched a video by Dr Tim interviewed by MrSaltwaterTank (if you know who he is?)

And Dr Tim says that with the product you can just put it in then add one or two small fish and you can go.

MrSaltwaterTank was also sceptical like us and tried it for himself. He got a new 130g tank not cycled. Added the product, then 2 clowns straight after, he drew his parameters on a graph (go to 13:30 in the video and have a look) and he says that they were good enough to not damage the fish.

So if you put 'Bacteria in a Bottle: Snake Oil or Worth Trusting?' into youtube you will be able to watch the interview and then when MrSaltwaterTank test the solution for about the last 5 minutes of the video.

It really is a good video to watch so I hope you can watch it.

Thanks

I have to go to sleep because I was up all night long due to work. I will watch video but won't be until tonight. As I said before, I am not familiar with this product but regardless I would still verify parameters before taking someone's word.

I used it, put in two Chromis for an ammonia source and tank cycled in less than a week. Fish were fine. I believe they have something that you can get to add along with it and it acts as "food" for the bacteria. I was not aware of that until after, or I would have gone that way. You could also just add ammonia (places like Tru Value sell it, just have to make sure you buy the kind that does not bubble when shaken.

Todd - thats right regarding the ammonia source, when you buy the 'one and only nitrifying bacteria' you can also get some pure ammonia for it for about $3 extra I think, then you don't need to add fish.

So was your experience good with the product and nothing died?

I used two Chromis and they are both still alive. In fact, I had a recent bout with what I believe was marine velvet, that killed a Tang and a dwarf angel and these guys are the sole survivors.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably go the ammonia route with Dr Tim's. Any less stress to fish is good IMO.

There is also the old "throw a shrimp in and let nature do its thing" choice. That seems popular here and I see nothing wrong with it, other than I am often impatient and would rather my tank cycles in a week than a month (it avoids the stinky rotting shrimp smell too). The additional cost does not matter to me. I see it as part of the cost of what is already an expensive hobby. :)

Todd,

Would it be ok if I was to use water out of a display tank at the fish store as the guy there said that I can use his water from one of their tanks.

He said that because of the bacteria in the water my tank won't take that long to cycle? Around a week?

What do you think about this?

BB is on the rock and sand. Very little is in the actual water, so that would not help much. Water from an LFS tank could have something bad in it (remember that they get new fish all the time and some will have Ich or other nasties). It's not that likely, but if you use water that is "pure" from an RODI unit, then there is no chance. I'd pass on the offer and just cycle normally.

Over many years I have not found products that claim to instantly cycle your tank to work very well. It's always best to move slow and let nature do its thing. Impatience and keeping a reef don't work together. Seeding live rock will speed things up though.

Back
Top Bottom