DSB question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have about 55# of Caribsea Aragonite- Seaflor special grade reef sand in my 55 Gal FOwLR setup. I am planning on adding another 40# so that I have a proper DSB and have a few questions.

1) Can I just add to the top of the current substrate?

2) Can the fish stay in the tank when I add the new substrate?

3) should I rinse the new substrate before adding?

4) Is this grade sand OK for sand sifters?

Any helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanx,

Patrick

When adding new substrate be cautious not to bury the old substrate to deep. The bactera that live within the substrate depend upon certin conditions and certin oxygen levels to survive and burying them to much to quickly could cause an issue with yoru bio bed.

I would maybe add a little bit every week till you have built up your sand bed.

I cant say much for your last question as I dont know how the individual particles look but if the particles look rough as if they have sharp edges then some sensitive sand sifters might get irratated with the sand particles.

There was a great post about adding new substrate awhile back. It suggested freezing the sand with alittle water in a pie pan then lying it on the floor of the tank, letting it thaw there, so there is no cloudiness, then spreading it. (try searching for it) Also only add a small amount at a time so you don't smother beneficial bacteria in your current substrate, as fishfreek said. Rinse even if you plan on freezing it.

Back
Top Bottom