Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would keep the QT without rocks or sand. I would place some plastic flower pots and/or some pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in. The egg crate material is a plastic mesh used for fluorescent light fixtures. It will allow free flowing of water.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for all the help. Which type if dwarf angels so you think I have the best chance of mixing? I was thinking a bi color and a flame ? But open to suggestions

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most Eggcrate in the stores is 1/4" holes but if you do some digging around other stores, you may be able to find 1/8". This allows you to have smaller fish separated.

I think there are differing opinions on QT tanks because they are being used, IMO, incorrectly. What we did:

A QT tank would be used for long term observation of a fish or bunch of fish so that IF someone needed to be medicated, they would be put into a hospital tank. QT tanks would be somewhat like your main tank with some decor because you want the fish in there to be comfortable and start acting and seeing "Normal."
In a hospital tank, it should be bare bones with nothing that would absorb medications ( gravel, rock, real coral decor) or would displace that much water that you might not medicate properly for the real amount of water on the tank. We just used PVC pipe and connections only in a hospital tank.

So a QT tank is set up for long term, a hospital, set up for short time. In fact, our hospital tanks were set up the day we needed them as we kept water available to use all the time. They were taken down and stored when the fish were removed.

Hope this better clarifies.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone ever kept two dwarf angels together in a tank? If so which kind? Any advice on which two you think I have the best chance of keeping together?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelzin1 View Post
Has anyone ever kept two dwarf angels together in a tank? If so which kind? Any advice on which two you think I have the best chance of keeping together?
I had a flame and a lemon peel in one tank, a Bicolor and a Brazilian Flameback in one tank and a Midnight and Multicolor in one tank. If you look at the body shapes of these pairings, they were different. That's how I believe they got along with each other. They also were introduced at the same time to avoid any territory issues at the start.

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

That does help thank you. How was the bicolor for you? That is one of the ones I am interested in. However, I have read mixed reviews. Some sites say they are easier to care for and are one of the more hardy dwarfs while others have said they are a 50/50 shot ? Any advice on the bicolor. I was thinking of that with a flame
Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went through a few before I got one to live. I've found that they do best in a heavily decorated tank with lots of algae for them to pick at. They can be skittish so you want to provide a lot of places for them to hide.
The flame can be a really aggressive feeder so don;t be shy about feeding them. They ate more of a meat based diet than the bicolor did which is why I offered a cut clam (on the half shell) for them ( and my other fish) to pick at. Using a natural food source like a clam, I found the fish tended to start feeding better and except other foods quicker.

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have heard there is a problem with many of the flame angels being imported. Didn't we see a run of unexplained deaths last year?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Flame angels being imported from where though? Flame angels are from the Christmas islands , Marshall Islands etc.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I have heard there is a problem with many of the flame angels being imported. Didn't we see a run of unexplained deaths last year?
That was going on and my LFS said he has had 3 of four he got recently die on him within 24 hours and he normally has no problem with them. I'm not sure where his are from. Seems like the last year, nobody is having luck with Flames.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com