Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf lionfish

Is there any fish that can go with an antenna lionfish or a dwarf fuzzy lionfish, if the tank is a 40 breeder?

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any fish that does not fit inside it's mouth. It's got to be bigger than the Lion Fish.

I mean it's got to be Bigger! Not just as big, because a Lion Fish can eat a big fish, believe it or not. Also, from all the research I did, if a Lion Fish is the last in the Tank, they usually leave the other fish alone.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

in that size tank i would do a species tank only or maybe a healthy sized toby puffer because alot of fish larger then a lion fish are wayy to large for a 40 breeder hope this helps and good luck
10 gallon (quarantine)
chiclidlover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah with a dwarf lion I would go with toby puffer too! or just look into nice coral in th etank and species only
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would do species only in a 30. Ill look into the Toby. Would a Toby be ok in a 30?
3g Pico Reef
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Blue Spotted puffer. He was fine in my 30 gallon, no problems. He had plenty of swimming space, and was healthy. Liveaquaria.com says they should be in a 50 gallon tank, but I have found that site to be overly cautious with their tank requirements.

My guy is in a 55 gallon now, but I had no issues with him in a 29 gallon tank. Also remember the Lion Fish will produce a lot of waste. So a good skimmer is in order!! I think with them two fish, you should be fine. If that's all you do. I would put the Puffer in first!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would a Papuan puffer and an antenna lionfish be ok with eachother?
What skimmer would you reccomend?
3g Pico Reef
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got the Reef Octopus BH-1000. I think there is a BH-100 or something, that's a little smaller for a 40 gallon tank. The thing is a hang on the back skimmer, but it's big! It works great.

I am sure they would be ok, but anytime your putting predators in with one another your taking a chance. I would put whatever fish you want in first than the Lionfish last. I was going to do a Lionfish in my 29 gallon tank, but ended up choosing not too because I wanted more fish in my tank than just 1 or 2. As long as the Puffer is the first one in the tank, you should be fine. Anything added after that will become food. Again it's all a chance you will be taking. Here is the skimmer I would recommend.

Amazon.com: Coral Vue Technology AC20197 Octopus Hang-On Back Skimmer for Aquarium Filter, 75-Gallon: Pet Supplies

This is the one I have and it's awesome!!

Amazon.com: CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus with External 1000 Pump for Aquarium Filter, 100-Gallon: Pet Supplies

A lot of videos online on how to use the BH-1000. Helpful being the instructions it comes with sucks. :-p

Maybe go with a Six Line Wrasse as well, get the biggest one you can find. Put him in after the puffer, than Lionfish last. Just to add a little more to your tank. I wouldn't go beyond that!!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I got the Reef Octopus BH-1000. I think there is a BH-100 or something, that's a little smaller for a 40 gallon tank. The thing is a hang on the back skimmer, but it's big! It works great.

I am sure they would be ok, but anytime your putting predators in with one another your taking a chance. I would put whatever fish you want in first than the Lionfish last. I was going to do a Lionfish in my 29 gallon tank, but ended up choosing not too because I wanted more fish in my tank than just 1 or 2. As long as the Puffer is the first one in the tank, you should be fine. Anything added after that will become food. Again it's all a chance you will be taking. Here is the skimmer I would recommend.

Amazon.com: Coral Vue Technology AC20197 Octopus Hang-On Back Skimmer for Aquarium Filter, 75-Gallon: Pet Supplies

This is the one I have and it's awesome!!

Amazon.com: CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus with External 1000 Pump for Aquarium Filter, 100-Gallon: Pet Supplies

A lot of videos online on how to use the BH-1000. Helpful being the instructions it comes with sucks. :-p

Maybe go with a Six Line Wrasse as well, get the biggest one you can find. Put him in after the puffer, than Lionfish last. Just to add a little more to your tank. I wouldn't go beyond that!!
I could do the puffer and six line wrasse same time then lionfish?
3g Pico Reef
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Puffer first, wait a few days, Six line wrasse, wait a week or two. Than go with the Lionfish. You give your tank mates time to establish a territory, plus you got to let the bio-load build up. Slow wins the race!

Tags
dwarf, lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com