Dwarf SeaHorses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I've been wanting to get a pair of dwarf seahorses for a while now. I was hoping to put them in a 10 gallon aquarium. And let them breed to increase the population in the tank. I've been doing much research and am still confused on what I should buy to put in their tank. Like no coral reef? Types of plants? Please this is my first saltwater fish, I've been into freshwater so i decided to take the jump with dwarf seahorses.

i don't have any experience with seahorses, but i have heard from many seahorse keepers/breeders that most of the horses you see at the lfs will not survive in closed systems. make sure they are tank raised and also make sure you can see the ones you are buying eat right in front of you before you take them home.

Welcome to AA!

You might want to get something easier to start out in saltwater. Seahorses are pretty delicate and like Doug said, check if they are eating before you buy any. Dwarf seahorses also require live food daily so make sure you can provide that. You will want live rock and macroalgae for the horses to hitch to. I think it's possible to go reef as well if you really want to. They mostly need branching structures to wrap their tails around. Here is a great guide to keeping dwarf seahorses: The Care of Dwarf Seahorses - Seahorse.org.

I wanted seahorses as well starting out in saltwater but they have a lot of requirements and I personally don't have the time and resources to keep them happy. If you feel you can provide well for them, definitely go for it! :) Good luck!

Since you are just starting saltwater you might consider looking at ORA dwarf seahorses. They eat prepared foods, which will make care a little easier for a "beginner" IMO.

Also, a reason I did want to get dwarves is because they don't require a very large tank, if I was to get normal seahorses, what size would the tank have to be? And do they reproduce as often as dwarves?

depends on the size, some can do well in a 29G like melosu's

cant comment on the reproduction though

Back
Top Bottom