Dying fish and Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csquare77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have had my tank set up for about 6 moths since I have moved and everything was fine up until a few weeks ago. First my numbers

PH:8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm*

*The levels were very high at one point over 80ppm, but all the other numbers were the same Ammo and Nitrite, 0. So that's my first quandary.

Second, I have had 2 damsels die(last week) and a clown just yesterday. *The nitrate level was better when they died at like 20-40.

All of the fish that died were doing fine and showed no sign of stress. I come home from work and find them dead. The tank is down to 1 clown now. before I moved I had the tank for over 2 years and never a problem.

Thoughts?

Excuss me, but when I readied over your thread, I get the feeling that you not too long ago just setup this tank, that its just gone through its cycle, is this correct?

Buddy

I agree your tank has more then likely just gone through a small cycle due to the move. It is alittle odd that it took 6 months for it to occur though. Did you recently add any new rock to the tank or do anything to stir up the substrate?

Matt

Those nitrate readings would not have killed your fish. I`m thinking the move caused another cycle

Yes I moved back in August. Before the move the tank was established for almost 2 years. The move was not a long one, only a day.

MCluett, the sand did get stirred up a bit when a piece of LR shifted and I moved it around to secure it.

When in moving your tank, no matter of the tank size, your tank will go through a short cycle period, lasting not more then a few weeks. :silly:

I doubt the tank cycled 6 months after the move. What did you do to get the nitrates down from 80 to their current level? Did you do a massive cleaning/PWC and possibly stir the sand up while trying to clean it? A little sand storm from move a piece of LR shouldn't be an issue either.

Any new additions lately? Do anything different in the last couple of weeks?

when we move our tanks, the tank when setup again will go through a small cycle period, their is no escaping this. Its like when I moved my two tank system for eels, after moving, I had the eels staying at the LFS until after the small cycle finished and that the nitrate levels then leveled off at untraceable levels, then I gotten the eels back into their tanks.

Buddy

Back
Top Bottom