Dying Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carling0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Im a new member looking for some help I have a 300ltr salt water fish only tank.I have alot of live rock 2 Pacular clowns 2 damsels 1 coral beautie 1 sailfin tang & 10 hermit crabs.Everthing is healthy and water tests are good the tank is about a year old.The problem i have is that shrimp ony seem to survive about 3/4 weeks then just die any help would be appreciated

How are you acclimating them when you add them? And what are your water readings. If very different from the lfs where the shrimp came from, acclimating the shrimp properly is even more critical.

My water readings are spot on I acclimatize them for about I hour for temp then about 45 mins adding tank water.they all live for up to 4 weeks then just disapear.

No offense, but I've heard folks say "on spot" before and it not be so. What are they? Believe me, it may help us help you to know what they are.

My water readings are spot on I acclimatize them for about I hour for temp then about 45 mins adding tank water.they all live for up to 4 weeks then just disapear.
Inverts need a much more gradual acclimation than fish and corals. I would suggest temp acclimating them for no more than 10-15 minutes and then drip acclimating for a full two hours before adding them to the tank. I lost a few blood shrimp before I figured that one out (they would die after a couple weeks, just like you're describing).

I agree that you`ll need more than just temp. acclimation. Acclimating them to your water is needed also. As mentioned above drip acclimation would be good.

I agree, I like to drip mine for at least 2 hours. Are you buying from the same source?

Back
Top Bottom