Early nitrates - prime the culprit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,
So my 55 fowlr is a week into it's cycle, with all dry rock (except for a few small pieces of LR.) All dry sand as well. Tap water used with prime conditioner, but only for the initial fillup.

Weirdly enough, here are my params:
- ammonia: 2
- nitrite: 5
- nitrate: 80

I'm stumped about the nitrite and nitrate, since I expected the curing process to take much longer. Any ideas?

Also, my tap is perfectly clean of nitrates. Could prime be the source?

I would say that tap water is a no no no mater what your water from your tap shows! For the nitrite and nitrate issues if not from your tap i would say your tank hasn t enough bacteria built up! Only way to remove that high of nitrates is large water change maybe 2 a wk

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you feeding the tank?

Its only a wk old give it time!

I'm using tap primarily because of cost, but also because I checked out my city water quality report and found out my tap is straight from an aquifer - I checked everything including tds, no2, no3, ammonia, heavy metals, etc.

I'm not feeding the tank, nor were there any bacterial cultures added.

Thanks for replying, I agree it just needs time. I was just wondering what the source of the nitrates could be, given such sparse bacteria seeding.

Could be some stuff leaching out of the dry rock. Do you have phosphates too?

Put your live rock you do have ontop of the dry it will help filter the nitrates

Hope that helps

Could be some stuff leaching out of the dry rock. Do you have phosphates too?

Could be, I didn't do an acid bath with the knowledge that it might leach phosphates etc.
Phosphates are at 1.5 but some must be bound by the early algae.

Put your live rock you do have ontop of the dry it will help filter the nitrates

Not sure I understand what you're getting at - do you mean placing the existing LR in more direct flow?

Yah more water flow over rock

Maybe even rinse your food off in r o water alot of food is pacaged in phosphate

Yah more water flow over rock

Not currently feeding the tank, as there are no inhabitants and I have already initiated the cycle.

I have them in good flow currently, and no disrespect intended but I'm not trying to get the cycle to go any faster - the bacterial seeding is already done.

What Red mentioned seems like a good explanation, as I'm not feeding the tank right now.

No worries i was commenting on a different post of yours were you fed homemade food! I crossed post my bad lol! Nice to be able to have discussions and get knowledge on the hobby we all enjoy!

No worries i was commenting on a different post of yours were you fed homemade food! I crossed post my bad lol! Nice to be able to have discussions and get knowledge on the hobby we all enjoy!

No prob glad to have discussion! Seems like the rocks are the best explanation. The diatoms are really taking off at this point btw, and the ammo is starting to drop.

Back
Top Bottom