Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its been a couple years but i think my ammonia spiked for a couple days when I put it in without curing.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait so if I have live sand and live rock from the tanks and seawater do I still have to cycle my tank and wait before adding fish?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, all new tanks have to go through a cycle.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can have die off from the new live rock which will cause a parameter spike ie: ammonia. Not recommended if you already have livestock in the tank
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tarpon, many on here will argue and hate me for this but the answer is no. I added ready mixed water straight from my lfs, cured live rock straight from their tanks, and a bag of live sand. This was a biocube 14.. However thus being said.. It was VERY time consuming.. I did a full water parameter test everyday.. Small water changes every other day..
True perc went in on first day.. Corals went in on the 3rd day.. Shrimps and anemone on the 5th day..
BUT my tank still had a cycle, every tank will no matter what. Until it reaches the balance in bioload.. I was just keeping the toxin levels low with pwc' (partial water changes). So that's my experience, others will say different. I'm not saying my tank didn't cycle. I'm saying I worked through my cycle..

Carey or anyone else, quick question..
I'm gonna build a 10 gal refugium for my 14 gal biocube. how do I add more live rock without a spike??
Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocube14
Tarpon, many on here will argue and hate me for this but the answer is no. I added ready mixed water straight from my lfs, cured live rock straight from their tanks, and a bag of live sand. This was a biocube 14.. However thus being said.. It was VERY time consuming.. I did a full water parameter test everyday.. Small water changes every other day..
True perc went in on first day.. Corals went in on the 3rd day.. Shrimps and anemone on the 5th day..
BUT my tank still had a cycle, every tank will no matter what. Until it reaches the balance in bioload.. I was just keeping the toxin levels low with pwc' (partial water changes). So that's my experience, others will say different. I'm not saying my tank didn't cycle. I'm saying I worked through my cycle..

Carey or anyone else, quick question..
I'm gonna build a 10 gal refugium for my 14 gal biocube. how do I add more live rock without a spike??
If you buy cured lr, then there will be no spike.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok cool.
Sorry for the threadjack..
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I know about the die off.
My understanding was just that the live rock acts as the filter so if I buy it from a tank it will be "seeded"
If I cleaned it first in saltwater and then added it could I add a fish or two in a few days after a pwc. Then just do pws more often for a while?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, you can definitely do that. If you buy it from an established tank, then it will be cured and you could add fish a day or two after, but you'd need to check your parameters the first few days just in case there's a spike.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does the "established tank" need to have fish in it? Bc most of them with live rock for sale just have the rock

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com