Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eek, a mantis!

Actually, I'm kinda happy about it.
Heard some clicking the other night and assumed it was the two pistol shrimps I knew were in the lr qt tank. Today I found this looking at me. I have no idea how big it is yet but, it's at least a 1/4" wide. So, probably around 1-1 1/2" long. Guess I'll be setting up this qt tank for him now.
I haven't seen the pistols in about two days now so, I fear they may have already succumbed to the mantis.
Interestingly though, right under his hole is a dying tunicate. I watched him come part of the way out, grab a handful of this ickiness and drag it in the hole. Who knew? I had no idea they would eat stuff like that.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
He looks crazy. Where in WV are you? I am in Barboursville.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried feeding him a piece of silverside. He picked at it and lost interest quick. lol He is crazy.
I'm in Martinsburg. About 5 1/2 hrs away from Barboursville.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! Good looking little mantis you have there. Enjoy him (EeewwwwwwwwwwW)!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sweet! Have fun catching him, they are slick.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Have fun catching him
Piece of cake... pull rock, squirt in RO/DI put immediately in SW holding pen. Just watch your fingers! 8O

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got mine with FW .. cool, from the tap. I saw him go into a hole and I stuck a bamboo skewer into the hole to keep him in there while I removed the rock.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not even gonna bother. That's his rock and as far as I'm concerned, he can have it. I'm just gonna leave him be and work around him to set the tank up as a mantis tank.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I'm not even gonna bother. That's his rock and as far as I'm concerned, he can have it. I'm just gonna leave him be and work around him to set the tank up as a mantis tank.
That is great!! I didn't have that luxury, mine picked a rock at the very bottom.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to xerobob
Be very careful with a mantis shrimp..I had one that reached over 5 inches in length. It ate all of my snails,and then started on my damsels.. The noise can very bothersome at night too, the first time I heard it I thought something was shorting out in my tank. I tried to grab him/her out one day, and OUCH, it hurt like heck. I mean tore right through my skin. SO, had to wait till it went in the rock and removed the rock, dumped it fresh water ( the problem was getting it out after it died). So, just be wary, they can get big and start to destroy the rest of the tank.. And never put your fingers near (from experience).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com