Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

eels

Im thinking about getting a eel for my tank. Anybody have any experince with them? Right now I have a Dwarf lion and a pearlscale.. If I put a eel in will that limit the amount of space for other fish like a dwarf angel and a tang for later? Also do the eels go after you when you put your hand in the tank? TIA

MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not have a lot of experience keeping eels. From what I can see it will work in your tank. The most important thing is make sure you have a weel sealed hood. They have been known to escape.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree an eel will work in your tank. I keep one with a dwarf lion right now and they get along fine. The eels are pretty reclusive except when hungry. Don't expect to see them much. Mine doesn't pay me any mind at all except when he knows there is food involved. Granted, with the lion in the tank, my hands aren't in the tank much anyway. And like already mentioned, be sure to have a secure top.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys.. With an eel would I still be able to add a tang and a dwarf angel? Or would that be too much for the bio load?
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
Old 02-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of eel are you considering? You would do well with a snowflake, jewel or any of the other small eels that only get around 2'. Then, you wouldn't need to worry about any of the fish you are considering.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys.. With an eel would I still be able to add a tang and a dwarf angel? Or would that be too much for the bio load?
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had a snowlfake eel in a 55g with a tang and a clownfish. Granted, this would not have been great in the long run because the yellow tang needs at least a 75g when full grown. Anyways, a 90g is a good size for those tankmates. The snowflake eel is a good aquarium choice. They are very hardy (I've even heard of one person who got a snowflake eel as a hitchiker in live rock!) . I can't stress enough though about making sure you have a sealed hood. I was running a emperor 400 filter when I had him and he swam up into the thing then popped his head out to look at me before getting back in the aquarium. They can squeeze through spaces half their size! Mine wasn't that reclusive you could always see him somewhere and he would often swim around the tank. Feeding time was a real crowd pleaser too.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you'll be ok bioload wise if
you get a small species and increase your liverock by about another 80lbs.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do plan on getting more live rock down the road. My main concern is when I do get some cured LR I dont want to put it in the tank and lose a finger tip or two...LOL
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Old 02-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had my snowflake for about 4 months now and he is awesome. He eats rite out of my hand and is very careful not to bite me and only take the food. When they get comfortable in a tank they move around a lot but you usually never see their whole body they usually just sneak around in the rocks. Another thing is as someone already mentioned they are very hardy. This eel has been through a lot and he is still healthy.

Tags
eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com