Efficient water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd run a 36-gal FOWLR tank for several years, but have recently upgraded to a 65-gal tall tank. I'm looking to make my water change procedure more efficient.

With the old tank, I'd prepped new water in 2.5-gal buckets, warming it by the pitcherful in microwave to promote better mixing of salt & buffer. That worked OK, but was rather labor-intensive, leading to delayed changes when not enough time was available.

From the recent tank transition, I now have a heavy-duty 20-gal bucket, on wheels & with lid. I figure I'll be able to prep larger quantities of new water in this, using a heater and a PH. (I get my water from an RO/DI dispenser at local market.)

So I can now prep 15-20 gallons of water ahead of time. Getting the old water out is easy, just siphoning it out into a bucket. I figure I could use some sort of a pump with tubing to add the new water. I'd like to find out what others are using.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Bob Peitzke
Pacific Palisades, CA

I just make mine in 5 gallon buckets. Letting them sit for 24-48 hrs and testing for salinity before I add to the tank. Keep it simple.

2 buckets here 1 to mix I airate the h20 for 24 hours on the 24 hour mark add salt mix additional 24 hours take power head with tubing attached go to tank drop in pump out what I want out then take fresh over and pump in done ..

I have a Ro/DI unit attached to the wall behind my washer it then runs threw a hole I drilled into the wall into a 30G trash can In my garage where I store RO/DI water with a heater and powerhead. I then transfer water into a 20gal trash can sitting next to it. I fill it 3/4 of the way full and then mix in my salt stir it up really good with my hand and let it sit with a powerhead and heater for at least 24 hours to settle and then test it with a refractometer to make sure SG is right. Very low labor. All I do is turn on my RO/DI unit and turn it off when my can is full. I use a pitcher to transfer the mixed salt water to my 5 gal bucket and then pour in my tank.. plus I have on hand top off water I just grab a pitcher full and pour in my tank. Really easy

Well I'm not ready to buy an RO/DI machine, mainly b/c I don't have a handy place to set it up. But I'm definitely going to start mixing up larger batches, using a heater & PH, so I'll have it ready to go when I want to change some. I'll find some sort of a pump, just to save taking the hood off & on to enable pouring water in from a bucket. I thought somebody might already be using such a pump and have a suggestion. But I'll find one.

Really enjoying this new tank :eek:)

I have a 32 Gallon trash can on wheels. I always have water in it. I wheel it to my tanks after I have siphoned out the water and use a ph to pump in the new SW.

I thought somebody might already be using such a pump and have a suggestion. But I'll find one.

I just use a Maxijet 900 with a piece of tubing stuck onto the outlet. Drop the powerhead into my PWC bucket and pump it into the tank. I use the same rig to pump my stored/heated/aereated saltwater out of the 22g tub in the garage into my PWC bucket.

I just use a Maxijet 900 with a piece of tubing stuck onto the outlet. Drop the powerhead into my PWC bucket and pump it into the tank. I use the same rig to pump my stored/heated/aereated saltwater out of the 22g tub in the garage into my PWC bucket.
Same here only mine is a mini jet 606 full tilt I still need to raise the bucket so it doesnt work so hard . I have about 4 foot of tubing gotten at lowes for around 16cents a foot

I have a 32 gal trash can that I mix up fresh saltwater in using a heater and PH. When I'm ready to do a water change, I siphon out of the tank into another 32 gal trashcan I use only for waste water. Then use a pump with a 6 foot length of tubing on it to pump the fresh saltwater into the tank.

FYI, this is the pump I am using. It has absolutely no problem pumping water the almost 5 feet necessary to get it into the tank. I have the model 2200.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+9849&pcatid=9849

Back
Top Bottom