Electric Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking at upgrading my lights so I can have coarls. I was wondering if I could get some estimates on how much these lights up the monthly power bill. I have a 55 gal and was probally going to purchase 4X65watts lights. Not set in stone though.

It would be great if responses could list their lights and estimated monthly cost. Thanks

Unfortunately, there have been too many tanks in my life for far too long to remember what one on the electric bill looks like. Sorry.

It really depends on where you live, and the price of electricity. Try this for an estimate...

4x65 Watts is the same as 260 Watts, which is the same as 0.26 kW. Let's say your lights are on for 10 hours/day... that's 2.60 kW-hr of electricity. Let's say you've got 30 days in a month... that's 78 kW-hr per month. Now - take your price for electricity off your last power bill - it's in $/kW-hr. This is where you'll get the variance between people. Let's just say your average price per kW-hr is $0.10. That would mean your total monthly bill - just for lights - would be 78 kW-hr times $0.10 for a total of $7.80 per month. If you're charged a sliding rate for your electricity depending on the time of day, obviously it won't be this simple. But at least it gets you in the ball park.

I really doubt it will be that much for VHO or PC's. I have a 192 watt PC, and another 50 watt PC for my planted and my bill went up about $5-7. I never owned MH's yet, but I am sure they would draw more.

I'm new to salt water, but I am an educated person and have been doing some research. Looks like T5's will blow away power compacts. Better PAR and lower power consumption. Overdriven with icecap ends and ballasts and they compete with halides, given they have the correct individual reflectors.

Also bulb life is better than all the rest..... cost per bulb is reasonable too.

Wow.... that's some of the best sps corals I've seen! Changes bulbs every 6-8 months, if your not quite as crazy about sps as he is.... you can get 18 months out of T5's even when overdriven.... or so I've read.

Back
Top Bottom