Elementary Questions: Skimmer, Pumps, PHs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneBowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 72 gallon reef-ready bowfront tank (Oceanic) with 29 gallon sump has just arrived and I'm now in the final planning stages for the initial set-up within the next few months. This will be a FOWLR set-up. While there may be no such thing as a stupid question, there are elementary ones, of which I have a few:
1. I plan to locate a skimmer in the sump. Given the volumes, any recommendations, perhaps split by top-of-line and then next best designations?
2. Overflow drain tube diameter is 1 inch, sump to tank rise is about 2-2.5 feet and an in-sump return pump is required. Return pump recommendations would be appreciated.
3. Now here's the one that makes me feel stupid: skimmer product literature often suggests pump brands. Do I need 2 pumps (a skimmer pump and a return pump), or just one?
4. Once I have the pump(s) issue resolved, will I need additional PHs for water movement? Recommendations on number, models?
Jeez I'm gonna need alot of electrical outlets! TIA to all nice enough to respond. Take care.

THE only answers I can give are as follows:

3. You will need seperate pumps for your skimmer and your return pump. Many skimmers already come with a pump so thats atleast one less choice you have to make.

4. You will most likely need additional Poweer Heads for water movement. especially if you plan on adding corals, anenomes, etc. I have been sucessful in generating a good amount of water movement (so far) by incorporating a large canaster filter with my reletively small tank. However, with a tank your size, I don't think there is anyway around not adding Power heads.

2. Overflow drain tube diameter is 1 inch, sump to tank rise is about 2-2.5 feet and an in-sump return pump is required. Return pump recommendations would be appreciated.

I Think a MAG-9 would work well

4. Once I have the pump(s) issue resolved, will I need additional PHs for water movement? Recommendations on number, models?
Jeez I'm gonna need alot of electrical outlets! TIA to all nice enough to respond. Take care.[/quote]

A couple of Maxi-Jet 1000's would do the trick

Back
Top Bottom