emergency question! Powering tank during power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunkdent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK in I'm in central Oklahoma and we are expecting sever thunderstorms and tornados this weekend....I've been through enough tornados that I know theres nothing u can really do about them but they always seem to just scoot by my house...any way my main concern is electricity, I have a fish in QT right now preparing to move him to the DT tomorrow..would I be better of with him in the DT in the event of a power outtage? I have water on hand for water changes..but how am I supposed to keep the temp steadyish?

Thanks for ur quick replies!!

i would just keep the water changed and heat will be hard.i would leave them all in dt

I know this is probably too late but I figured I would add my two cents. :)

For keeping heat in you could try to keep a blanket (s) over your tank. Not sure if that would be bad for air exchange though. IME it has worked pretty well. Sorry if that sounded confusing!

Good luck and stay safe!

Might be late now but its what I do. I live in fla. So after a hurricane or two I came up with this. A extra car batt or a deep cycle boat batt. Then you get a dc to ac converter. You can run power heads. Heaters and filter if needed. Now the more you run the faster it drains but you get the point. I just run a power head fla you don't often need to worry about heat. Other good thing about that is if the batt starts to run low you can hook it up top your car and let the alternator charge it. If you wanna go crazy because you think you will not have power for days you can buy solar cells to charge them. You can run a power head for a long time on one of them batts.

Or you could buy a gasoline generator. Im sure it will come in handy for other things as well. We used ours to power our, and our neighbors rerigerators so the food didnt spoil

Or you could buy a gasoline generator. Im sure it will come in handy for other things as well. We used ours to power our, and our neighbors rerigerators so the food didnt spoil

Oh I kno it would LOL but a generator is a little out of the budget atm...boyfriend decided he had to have a gasoline powered pressure washer instead a couple weeks ago :nono:

Might be late now but its what I do. I live in fla. So after a hurricane or two I came up with this. A extra car batt or a deep cycle boat batt. Then you get a dc to ac converter. You can run power heads. Heaters and filter if needed. Now the more you run the faster it drains but you get the point. I just run a power head fla you don't often need to worry about heat. Other good thing about that is if the batt starts to run low you can hook it up top your car and let the alternator charge it. If you wanna go crazy because you think you will not have power for days you can buy solar cells to charge them. You can run a power head for a long time on one of them batts.

Now that is very clever!!! It probably would never have crossed my mind :banghead:

Fish is in DT and thankfully I didn't lose power yesterday despite the tornado that hit the other side of town..but getting ready for round 2 this evening so I will keep all suggestions in mind. I have enough LR in there I could probably not ever run a filter...LOL

Thanks you guys!

Yes, thankfully we only had the one tornado here in norman. My lights only flickered a few times...but man it was close!

Like I said somehow we always manage to come out ok...lets hope its stays that way!

I was told by the guys at blue zoo aquatics years ago that the cold is not the main factor they can stand the cold its the oxygen thats the problem. You need to agitate the water every hour or so to help remove the gases and oxygenate the water, I used a wooden spoon to do it the last time I had an outage. Good Luck out there

I have also done the big wood spoon. It still sits under the tank. It did save my fish. The kids call it my witch spoon.

Well I heard that for a gas exchange you can use a battery powered bubbler. More expensive that just swirling the water around every hour but definetly worth it for me. We had a week Lon power outage and I used my battery powered bubbler in my 16 ( didn't have any other tanks then)

A car batt and dc to ac converter works great Quiet and will run a good size power head for a long time. Ez to recharge. In a big emergence you can run out right though your car if you have to

Back
Top Bottom