Emperor Angelfish good for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy444

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking on getting an emperor angel for my tank.I saw one at my lfs-it was about 7" or so.Is this a good size?Also the guy at my lfs(who I highly respect and trust) said that the emperor angel will only attain only a few more inches about 4-5. It has adult coloration and it's eating.

comments would be appreciated :D
Thanks

Well, I like the Emperor a lot myself, you have a good taste in angelfish. ;)

If your fish and tank are compatible with your fish, then I say go for it, but you have not posted any details about your tank it particular...

What size tank do you have? They need a minimum of 100 gallons and they also nip at stony coral and soft coral, so beware if you have or plan to have a reef tank.

I have a 150 gallon FOWLR with this list:
1 harlequin tusk( I already have it)
1 hippo tang
1 emperor angel?
1 black spot puffer
1 picasso trigger

Nice! Then i would definitely go with the emp angel. Those things look awesome. Those picasso triggers look pretty awesome too.

Thanks!
I went to my lfs today and saw that the emperor angel had hole in the head disease. I went around the store and saw a beautiful majestic angel! I asked if he was eating and he was eating frozen krill and mysid! It was about 4-5.5" or so is this a good size?

I'm no expert on angles, but if you can see that he is eating, and there are no visible signs of damage to the fish(fin tear, color fading, hazy eyes, etc..) Then i would say the fish is in good condition. Just inspect the fish closely before you buy it, and ask the clerk at the lfs to feed the fish in front of you so you know it is eating.

emperor

that is a beautiful fish and at that size be sure he is eating , some angels of that size will never acclimate and slowly starve, here again, he will be a coral killer, but a magnificent fish.

size

That size figure relates to potential lifetime growth of that fish, its not gonna get there for a long time, i bought a juvi majestic at 3" kept it for 2 years and it never got over 5 or 6" in that period of time. I have a very good Aquaculture facility nearby, and they take my trade ins at a much reduced price mind you, when my fish start getting to big, or cause problems or i just get bored with them and want something different. Point being although that fish has the capability of getting big when full grown, I really enjoyed keeping and watching it for that time. I never intend to keep a particular fish for life. That would be too boring for me, with all the available species, and limited tank space.

Back
Top Bottom