Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think that you might be able to house a valentini puffer or other small puffers like this (some one please verify this).

A 29 gal tank is big enough for sea horses however they need to be in a species only tank, as they require different conditions then most fish. There is some debate as to the optimal level of flow in a sea horse tank, but the main concerns are that they need to be fed often and shouldn't have any competition when it comes to eating.

If you plan to do reef then you might want to think about reef/invert safe fish. This might make the transition to reef a little smoother, and would prevent you from having to get rid of any fish if you decide to give reef a try.

anthony.grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
If you have decided to go with a 29g, then an AquaClear 110 (search for AquaClear refugium in diy) would suit your needs. If you find yourself wanting more flow later on then you can purchase a couple of maxijet powerheads. There are hob maxijet modifications (super easy) that can be assembled as well. Take a search through reefcentral diy forum as their database is immense.

Canthigaster sp. should be ok. Seahorses should be maintained by someone with a general knowledge in aquarium husbandry, imo. As long as their needs can be provided for, they can be housed them with other, generally non-aggressive, fish.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by papa_bear_21
I appreciate the quick response...

I'm looking at investing in a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, and am currently undecided on the filter for this tank. We are looking to have a few fish, some angels, maybe a puffer or 2 if capable of housing such beautiful fish. I have my eye on a porcupine puffer, but I think they may get a tad big...I think there may also be a goby or 2 in the tank, so maybe a gravel substrate would be good? There was a goby that my fiance and I liked, but we cant remember the name, it would scoop up gravel and move it else where then shake it out of its gills I think...dont remember...LOL

Thanks again for the advice,

29 gallons is too small for multiple angels. You could get 1 dwarf though but then you would be pretty limited as far as what other fish you can add due to it's size. A 29 gallon in this hobby is a very small tank and therefore you're really limited to very small fish. The majority of the puffer species are quite large, you could maybe skip the angel and get a valentini puffer, but again that's going to be the majority of your fish stock. You wouldn't be able to keep more than 1 valentini because they are aggressive toward their own species. You could maybe add two small fish with an angel or a valentini.

Gravel substrate really isn't the best option as it will trap a lot of detritus, old food, fish waste, etc which will cause problems with ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. Gravel might also carry toxins or impurities based on where you get it from. If you like the size/shape of gravel you could get crushed coral which is slightly better but you'll still run into the same problems as gravel.

Depending on what goby species you get, like the sand sifter types (the one you mentioned), they won't be able to sift through gravel. If you want that goby you'll have to go with a finer argonite sand which you could get from pretty much any LFS. Also a 29 gallon is too small for more than 1 goby.

Sea horses are tough to keep unless you have a tank devoted to them. They can't have strong currents, lots of fish will pick on them, and they need a lot of corals, etc they can wrap their tail around. However, the specific corals they need have to be chosen carefully as some will deliver powerful stings to the seahorses. They are quite less hardy than most saltwater fish.

pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, salt, saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com