Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Empty 29 gallon tank, what do I need for saltwater?

Ok, so I recently upgraded from a 29g to a 55g freshwater tank, and am starting my research to start up a saltwater tank. This is a standard 29g tank, was a marineland kit from walmart, the original filter was replaced with an aquaclear 30 hob filter, which was moved over to the 55 along with an aquaclear 50. I know I will need a fliter, and new substrate (any recomendations). I am not looking to start a reef tank, and this one if not built with a prefilter. I've been looking to build up a fowlr tank, but know nothing about how to begin. I am very willing to learn, and read, and will take any and all advice. I am looking to keep some puffers (not sure which one(s) yet, but possibly a porcupine if they can be kept in the small of a tank), and other fish that can be housed in a tank with puffers, and some angels. We like the flame angel, and some of the other smaller brightly colored fish, what stock would you all recomend in such a tank?

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice,

Bear

*EDIT*

Will the original light that came with the kit be enough for a saltwater tank? its a standard black plastic hood with the flourescent light strip in it. It provided enough light for the freshwater tank, but will it work in a saltwater tank as well?

Thanks again

Old 07-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is what I've done so far with my first saltwater, and my only death was due to a cat stealing one of my fish >.<

You will probably need a new light. They're not very expensive. $10-15 for a 50/50 bulb seems to do well with my clownfish's health and color. I don't know the specific reasons behind those bulbs, but it's something to do with mimicking natural sunlight or something. Also, a protein skimmer may not be a bad idea. It's not as crucial with fish, but it makes it easier to keep your levels down. As for a filter, I'm using a Cascade on mine that's meant for a 100 gallon tank. I always oversize my filters. It's just a habit I've gotten myself into. It might just be in my head, but it seems to help.

Naturally, you'll need some salt. Also, a hydrometer will be a good idea to make sure you have the proper mix of salt. Again, it seems with fish that it's not as big an issue as invertebrates. Also, some live rock would be a good idea as well.

That's what I have in my 29 gallon. Mind you, I only have one clownfish in there, and a couple of snails that came in on my live rock. I don't have anything else yet, and since I'll be moving in the next couple of months, I've put my tank on hiatus to make the move easier. Even so, my clown seems to be very healthy. He's very active, he has good color, he's eating well, and overall just seems like a very good fish.

So... that's what I have, and it's working out pretty well.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I appreciate the quick response...

I'm looking at investing in a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, and am currently undecided on the filter for this tank. We are looking to have a few fish, some angels, maybe a puffer or 2 if capable of housing such beautiful fish. I have my eye on a porcupine puffer, but I think they may get a tad big...I think there may also be a goby or 2 in the tank, so maybe a gravel substrate would be good? There was a goby that my fiance and I liked, but we cant remember the name, it would scoop up gravel and move it else where then shake it out of its gills I think...dont remember...LOL

Thanks again for the advice,

Bear
Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this article. It will tell you what you need. Your lighting does not have to be special for a FOWLR tank. What you have will be fine but if you should ever go to corals then you`ll need special lights. Again read this.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coral's are a possibility in the future, just not right now, as the funds are a bit tight. I am looking to get some saltwater experience before I get into corals and such. Thank you for the reply melosu, and the reading material, off to read now
Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You are welcome . Any questions just ask.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you really really need to read up on the needs of some of the fish you are pondering. For instance, porcupine puffers get 17-18 inches long and should be housed in a 100 gallon tank or larger. Angels are pretty aggressive and would limit the choices of your other fish. I would be checking lists of fish suitable for a small tank...

Here is a list of some that are suitable.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
You are welcome . Any questions just ask.
You can count on many more questions from me...My first one, in regards to the surface skimmers. Aqua Clear has a product out that I saw at the LFS, that connects to an aquaclear filter, and uses the current HOB filter as a skimmer. Has anyone else seen this? I asked the lady at the LFS, and she had mixed reports, some customers liked it and others didnt. Anyone on here use it or have any other recomendations. Again, thanks for the help

*EDIT*

Finally found a picture of the skimmer setup that I saw...Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer for Aqua Clear Power Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
you really really need to read up on the needs of some of the fish you are pondering. For instance, porcupine puffers get 17-18 inches long and should be housed in a 100 gallon tank or larger. Angels are pretty aggressive and would limit the choices of your other fish. I would be checking lists of fish suitable for a small tank...

Here is a list of some that are suitable.
I appreciate the link, and will use it to its fullest extent. I hadnt started started my research on live stock, am only beginning my research on equipment at this time. Again, thank you for the link, and thank you to all for the replies...

Bear
Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

For filtration you can purchase an hob refugium and utilize a canister or two for mechanical/chemical filtration. Probably not look as unsightly compared to the surface skimmer, which I hear works reasonably well.

Yes porcupine puffers do require a larger tank long-term, but you can keep a smaller porc for several years if not more in a 55g depending on its dimensions. Angels of Centropyge might be doable with a porc., but puffers can be aggressive. Wrasses, hawkfish, dottybacks, and foxface's are also possible tankmates.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Innovator,

Thank you for the reply, and the help with the filtration aspect. What style HOB filter would you recomend to use, and would it be setup the same way?

I had a feeling that the porc puffer would be an issue, are the any puffers that could be kept in a 29 gallon tank with other fish? Also, what about sea horses, how hard are they to keep? I am looking for some color, and variety in the tank, and if there is a small puffer that would work in a 29 gallon tank, I will keep it in mind.

Thank you again for all the replies

Bear

Tags
29 gallon, salt, saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com