Encouraging coralline on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The previous owners of my tank & stock encouraged purple growth. I want more colors, would that be goofy to have more than 1 color going on? Should I start another tank & encourage the diff colors there one color at a time then move the rock back to my main tank? In my main tank, will colors grow ontop of colors? Like if I started green, would it just cover up all the purple or just grow wherev & maybe cover some purple?

Also, do these coralline growth treatments have any possible side effects? Anything else I should pay attention to.

I think no matter what the purple corraline will eventually take over for the most part. There is a reason you see it EVERYWHERE in the hobby. Im sure if you tried hard enough you could cultivate pieces of rock with mostly other colors, but is it worth the effort?

I've heard of people using toothbrushes to scrub patches of corraline to help release spores and make it spread.

I think no matter what the purple corraline will eventually take over for the most part. There is a reason you see it EVERYWHERE in the hobby. Im sure if you tried hard enough you could cultivate pieces of rock with mostly other colors, but is it worth the effort?

I've heard of people using toothbrushes to scrub patches of corraline to help release spores and make it spread.

Perfect, that's why I ask these questions here instead of just accepting when somebody says at the LFS or wherever, "Yeah, you want the purple." I want to say, Don't tell me what I want, tell me why! A lot of mine died in the move. I'm
Assuming so b/c it turned white. Good to know, that I can encourage it to spread by brushing.

So I'm guessing you're saying that probably general water parameters & lighting support the purple coralline best??

Back
Top Bottom