Enough circulation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be using two power heads and a power filter for circulation in my 70 gallon tank. The flow ratings for the power heads are 400gph and 800gph. The flow in the filter is 400gph. Would this be enough circulation and where would yall place them?

That would be almost 23x tank volume flow rate. That is pretty good. You could go higher if you wanted to. I currently have 37x flow rate.

I would place one on each side of tank. Then if you want/need more, add as you go or aim them differently.

The live rock will be pilled up in the back corners. Should I just aim the power head at them or have them shooting long-ways across the tank?

You definitely want flow over the rocks. If this is a reef system, your corals will need it. If it's a FOWLR system you want the water to suspend detritus in the water column and not settle and build up on the rocks.

Its a Fowlr tank! Would you point it directly at the live rock?

Doesn't matter. You can! In a FOWLR tank, the flow is not nearly as important to sustaining life. Your fish won't care about it (although it does make them healthier!). I would concentrate more on keeping detritus suspended in the water column than aiming them directly at the rocks. The rocks will get some flow no matter what.

Yes. Surface agitation is good. It improves gas exchange and keeps a film off of the surface of the water.

Back
Top Bottom