Equipment list for new 20g setup. Input?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogersjw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, i'm new to the SW scene... I've read a book, articles (a couple on here) and I think i've got a good idea. Now, the other day I was at Petco and saw a tank sale... so I bought a 20g. Here's an equipment list... Do I have everything? Think it will be ok?

Protein Skimmer:
AquaC Remora w/ Rio 800 Pump - $164
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Rio 800 Pump

Filter:
Marineland Penquin BIO-Wheel Power Filter 100B - $20.62 (Sale for 13.99)
Penguin Bio Wheel emperor penguins bio wheel filters marineland biowheel marineland bio wheel 100B power filter powerfilter

Lighting:

Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System, Adjustable from 18-24" - $60
Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting Systems, Adjustable from 18-24 inches LED aquarium lighting LED aquarium light led aquarium lights Marineland LED Double Bright led for aquarium led aquarium moon aquarium led aquarium led moonlight led light
-OR-
Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X14 Watt, 24 inch - $30
Aquarium Lighting Fixture Coralife Aqualight T5 Dual Linear Strip Fixture, 2X14 Watt, 24 inch

Gravel/Live Sand:
Live Rock: 15-20 lbs
Live Sand: Enough for 2-3 inches of depth, although I'm not positive I'm going to go the LS route yet.

RO: Need to find one. Probably on ebay or something - $100

Extra Powerhead: For water movement
Not sure what size to get here... Ideas?

Other:
(2) Digital Thermometers (one for the water-change bucket)
(2) Hydrometer (again, one for the change bucket)
(1) Saltwater Test kit
(1) Large bucket of Premium Salt Mix $50
(1) pH meter
(1) Net
(2) Submersible Heaters (one for the water-change bucket)

OK, what did I miss? Since I'm in no hurry, I'm just getting the stuff as I can... maybe have it all by Christmas? - I like the Remora because I can make it drain into a larger container when I go away for business and family visits. As Always, Thanks for the help!

Forget the filter, the live rock will do the the filtering. Get a couple hydor nano powerheads. Get dry aragonite sand(the rock will make it live over time.) If you don't mind changing water every week,ditch the skimmer. Weekly water changes will do the same job as bi-weekly with the skimmer. The only reason I say that is with a tank that small,it's not too much of a pain to change water. As far as the light, that will depend on whether you want coral or not. Since you want live rock,get the api saltwater test kit, it checks the basics. The reef kit will check for calcium,phos,and hardness(if you decide to buy coral). I'm just putting this out there,but a hob refugium would be a better purchase than the skimmer(for macroalgae) This is my opinion though. Oh and I would suggest a refractometer for measuring salinity(that small a tank can be affected more by small salinity changes)

OK, i'm new to the SW scene... I've read a book, articles (a couple on here) and I think i've got a good idea. Now, the other day I was at Petco and saw a tank sale... so I bought a 20g. Here's an equipment list... Do I have everything? Think it will be ok?

Protein Skimmer:
AquaC Remora w/ Rio 800 Pump - $164
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Rio 800 Pump

It's rarely a bad thing to have a skimmer, but as mentioned, on this size tank you probably won't need it. If you are away on business often then it might be a worthy investment so you don't have to worry as much. Read lots of reviews on whatever you get, skimmers all look mostly the same, but some are just junk.

Filter:
Marineland Penquin BIO-Wheel Power Filter 100B - $20.62 (Sale for 13.99)
Penguin Bio Wheel emperor penguins bio wheel filters marineland biowheel marineland bio wheel 100B power filter powerfilter

You probably won't need this if you have a good amount of LR and some power heads, but the HOB filters are nice to put little bags of carbon or other things in.

Lighting:

Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System, Adjustable from 18-24" - $60
Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting Systems, Adjustable from 18-24 inches LED aquarium lighting LED aquarium light led aquarium lights Marineland LED Double Bright led for aquarium led aquarium moon aquarium led aquarium led moonlight led light
-OR-
Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X14 Watt, 24 inch - $30
Aquarium Lighting Fixture Coralife Aqualight T5 Dual Linear Strip Fixture, 2X14 Watt, 24 inch

Both options are fine as long as you are going to do a fish only tank. If you plan on having coral at all, I would pinch the pennies and buy a nice fixture once, instead of one now one later.

Gravel/Live Sand:
Live Rock: 15-20 lbs
Live Sand: Enough for 2-3 inches of depth, although I'm not positive I'm going to go the LS route yet.

As stated, LS is pretty useless. It's usually been sitting on the shelf at the store or at a facility for weeks and everything in there is dead. Aragonite sand works best, steer clear of crushed coral as a substrate.

RO: Need to find one. Probably on ebay or something - $100

Bulkreefsupply.com has some good deals. Spend the little extra and get an RO/DI. Don't be afraid to buy a non "marine" system if you find one. They are all the same thing.

Extra Powerhead: For water movement
Not sure what size to get here... Ideas?

Like Kdogg said, Hydors are nice, I also like the smaller Rios because they are easier to hide and tuck behind some rock.

Other:
(2) Digital Thermometers (one for the water-change bucket)
(2) Hydrometer (again, one for the change bucket) Buy a refractometer, save yourself the headache.
(1) Saltwater Test kit Make sure you buy liquid test kits not strips.
(1) Large bucket of Premium Salt Mix $50
(1) pH meter Test kit will work too.
(1) Net Get a large, really soft net.
(2) Submersible Heaters (one for the water-change bucket)

OK, what did I miss? Since I'm in no hurry, I'm just getting the stuff as I can... maybe have it all by Christmas? - I like the Remora because I can make it drain into a larger container when I go away for business and family visits. As Always, Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you did your research. Kudos to that!
From what I can see, you are off on a great start, let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks for the advice. Been looking for the last week or two and have found some good deals online on a lot of the stuff. With the go ahead from you guys most of it is on its way... decided to do without the HOB filter until I see a need for it. Just need to wait for it all to come in, buy sand and LR and hurry up and wait... for a couple weeks.

Found a AquaC Remora for $50 on craigslist that has been used less than a year... probably going to pick that up sometime this week if I ever get a response from the seller... For business trips I'll just do a water change a day or two before, and hook up a large jug to the skimmer so it doesn't mess everywhere.

Looks like its about time to jump in.. should be fun.

One more thing... since i've already got a thread going...

I plan on getting an dwarf angelfish (coral beauty or flame most likely) for my girlfriend. Do you all think there is going to be enough tank room for another fish or two? Or should I plan on only keeping that one? I was thinking maybe a clown?

Based on your equipment, I'm assuming you plan on keeping coral? In that case, a flame angel may not be the best option as they tend to nip at some coral. I had one that tore through LPS and zoanthids. Some people have had luck with keeping angels with coral, just try to keep it well fed and you may be one of the lucky ones.

30 gallons is a good size for a flame. +1. I had a 20 not too long ago and that's where my flame was. I decided a reef tank and a 20 is not the place for an angel so I moved it to the 75 FOWLR.

I had to take my flame back for nipping fins. He was in a 180 gal with only 6 other fish. Of course, it was about fully grown when I got it, so it could have been set in its ways. Just be leary of them and try to find as small a one as possible. If you do get one, make it the last fish in the tank.

20g isn't really going to be large enough for a flame. They need enough room to stretch their fins and swim as they are really active fish.

Got it. Would a coral beauty work ok? The fish dealer i've been going to said that would be ok... maybe with a small clown (where I got the idea!).

Also, I do not plan on keeping coral... Just FOWLR. For my first SW tank, I think I'll leave the coral for the future... probably for my 55 gallon when I decide it's time for an overhaul.

If its a standard 24x12x16 tank, im going to say no on any dwarf angels. They really need to room to swim. If its a 20L or other custom deal, that may be a different story.

Bigger tank. You're always going to want a bigger tank anyway.

If you want to keep the 20, a pistol shrimp and goby pair would be an interesting addition along with the clownfish.

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but with a smaller tank,stay ontop of the top offs. You will lose more percentage of water due to evaporation in smaller tanks. Even if it's a fowlr tank, get in the habit of topping off every day. Another thing about angels, they are territorial and smaller tank means smaller territory and more aggression. To be honest,if have the 55g already, just start it up and use the smaller tank for a refugium or sump. If you know you want a bigger tank,just wait a while till the money is available and start the bigger tank.

problem solved... 40 gallon tank will be mine within a couple days. All I have to say is craigslist is a great place (and cheap). Its a 40 Tall, so not a great deal more in the footprint, but I think it will be nice and not nearly as temperamental.

So, ideas now for fish? Dwarf angel too territorial for the tank + a couple mates?

Probably, like I said I had one in a 180(72x24x24) and it still nipped fins, but that was one fish,many others have had them and not had problems. Just make sure it is the smallest and last fish in the tank. And, you do have a quarantine tank, don't you? And being a tall tank,if you decide on corals, a more powerful light than the norm will be needed.

add fish from least aggressive to most aggressive and you will be fine. Careful of clowns, a lot of people think they are the best choice for first additions but should actually be towards the bottom due to their territorial tendencies.

Yes to the quarantine tank, no to the coral... I guess I'll do some more research about good tank mates, or possible alternatives to an angel... no hurry... I've got at least a month before it is set up and ready to run. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom