Equipment questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I hope you all had a nice relaxing holiday and got lots of nice things for your tanks from Santa.

I got a few things and am closing in on being able to set up my tank. But first...a few more questions for you guys.

I have an emperor 400 biowheel filter, an r/o unit, a Magnum 350 canister filter (I know nothing about this filter, it came with the tank), a gravel vaccuum, a hydor koralia circulation and wave pump (1050 gph), and a jager 150 W heater. My tank is 65 gal, will be FOWLR.

I am planning on getting a thermometer, airstone, refractometer, test kit, substrate, protein skimmer, a garbage can (for mixing water), salt, and live rock. What else do I need? Or is there something I have or am planning on getting that I don't need? Which protein skimmer would you recommend? I see algae and detritus attack packs on liveaquaria...is that something I need? Would sand or crushed coral be better for my purposes? I also have a flourescent light with two 30 watt bulbs. Is that adequate? Or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks for your help! Getting close...I can feel it. Can't wait to get some fish.

hi there. :)

I would suggest another powerhead so you have two, better circulation and will be more even.

I would say take a look at the hang on reef octopus skimmers, best to get one rated for 1.5 to 2 X your tank size, so one rated for 125 would be excellent. :)

Another powerhead, the same kind that I have one of? Also...do you think I need the canister filter as well as the emperor 400? I have no clue how to set the thing up.

You can run both filters, the canister is actually easy to operate and maintain. You can use almost any media inside too. The other filter would be good for mechanical filtration. :)

Yep, I would get either another 1050 or even a 750 if you want. I prefer to have two, one on either end of the tank to get a really chaotic flow of water. You want there to be no dead spots on the sand or on the rocks

Ok. Any thoughts on the attack packs? And my lights? Also sand or coral? Oh and what about a uv sterilizer?

Oh also I rinsed my filter for the emperor 400 in tap water. Was that a bad thing to do? And what kind of media do you think would be good for the other filter canister in the emperor 400?
Sorry so many questions!

If youre looking for clean up crew like snails I would check out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae much cheaper and a good selection.
If youre just going with fish then the lights you have are fine. The fish and rock dont have any special lighting needs. I would go with just sand and not crushed coral. alot of people who used the crushed coral end up unhappy with it and then find themselves changing it out for sand. i would pass on the uV sterilizer, at least thats my vote. i dont run one on any of my tanks and they do just fine.

I would keep the tap water out of your tank if at all possible, it can lead to unwanted algae. but if you just rinsed it then you should be fine. as far as what to run in the canister its up to you. how many trays does it have for media?

It has two media containers. And sorry I misspoke it's not the canister with the two trays but the emperor 400. I'm not necessarily looking for a clean up crew unless it is necessary...what do you think?

You are SO HELPFUL!!

Hmm not familiar with that type of filter. but if you only have two trays i would stick with biomedia in both or one with the media and one with carbon. if you end up having phosphate issues you can always put GFO in one of the trays.

You don't need a clean up crew, if you keep up with your tank you won't have algae issues. I have no algae but i love my snails so i always have some of those. lol

Glad I can be of help!

Allow me to be of some help. If you rinsed your filter with FW then you have killed your BB and will need to cycle again. I'd recommend at least a small CUC because the can clean up food trapped that you cant reach behind the tank.

I actually haven't cycled yet, I just was so anxious to do something that I set up my filter...but I have no water or live rock or anything yet. And the filter isn't on of course. So I think I'm ok as far as that's concerned. Thanks!

apinkmanatee said:
I actually haven't cycled yet, I just was so anxious to do something that I set up my filter...but I have no water or live rock or anything yet. And the filter isn't on of course. So I think I'm ok as far as that's concerned. Thanks!

Oh ok, just checking lol.

Back
Top Bottom