Equipment suggestions for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mai said:
2 Pro heat titanium heaters

Yes, these are excellent heaters. I would even go with the Pro Heat II on one of them if it's in the budget so you'll have that oh so neat digital temp readout on the heater controller.

AquaC ev240 w/dolphin pump I am leaning to an external pump since I don't want any problems with oil spills

I've had no experience with the Dolphin pumps. I would suggest looking at a Blueline 40-HD or the Little Giant 4 MDQ. I know both of them are good pumps...my pick would be the Blueline.

CustomSealife UV sterilizer
IMO, you won't really need this. It's nice to have one on standby for an algae bloom or something, but I think at least this could be your last purchase if you still determine that you need one after the tank is up and going. JMHO.

2 Quiet one 5000 pumps (1 for each return)

IMO, you'd be much better served by going with Blueline, Little Giant, or Iwaki pumps. The Quiet Ones, although very good pumps, are still primarily water cooled like the Mag Drives...even when they are run externally...and will add heat to your system. The above mentioned pumps have magnetically driven impellers powered by air cooled motors. Far superior IMO.

200lbs sand
220 lbs live rock

I'd go with more rock if it's in the budget. 1.5-2 lbs per gallon is usually recommended although you can get by with 1 lb per gallon. You can put in mostly base rock and top it off with good LR. The base rock will colonize the bacteria you need quickly and will eventually become nice looking LR with coraline and other critters. If you're going to go with a DSB, which I personally recommend, you'll want a minimum sandbed depth of 4" with 6" being better. There are differing opinions about DSB's, but I have found them to be very useful in controlling nitrates and adding diversity to the tank. I think it would pay you to research it if you haven't already.

CustonSealife Power compacts w/moonlight or a MH fixture (still undecided)

IMO, you'd probably be better off to go ahead with MH lighting since this is such a deep tank. I don't believe the PC's are going to give you the light penetration you'll need for the more demanding photosynthetic inverts. It really stinks to lay out a ton of $$ for a lighting system and then find out it isn't enough later. I would go with a 3x400w MH with either PC or VHO actinics. That way, you won't be limited later should you decide to get into SPS corals, anemones, clams, ect... Again, JMHO.

Plumbing is still being worked out for parts since I might go with a closed loop

Great! Closed loops are a great way to supply current in a large tank. I have one on a 180 reef using a 1200 gph Little Giant pump...works great. One other thing you might want to include is a wavemaker unit with a few powerheads. Although the sump returns and the closed loop will create flow in the tank, what you want to have is turbulence more than straight laminar flow. The object is to try to recreate the wave action that the corals have on the natural reef. It has been my experience that Maxi Jet powerheads hold up better on a wavemaker than any other brand. Stay away from Rios...they won't take the abuse for long.

Sump well that is still in the works since I need more info on building one

Sounds good. You're doing the research before you spend the $$. That puts you ahead of the game (OK, I admit...I didn't do as much research as I should have and it cost me dearly). A well designed sump will make your life much easier when it comes to maintaining the tank.

What do you think? Any comments would be appreciated.

I apologize for picking your post apart that way, but it was the only way I thought I could cover everything without making it totally confusing. Sounds like you're going to have a beautiful tank when it's done and I can't wait for pics (even though I'll probably be green with envy :twisted: )

Nice reply LoganJ.
smiley6.gif

Relly nice reply :D
Please don't apologize I asked for it and you gave me some really great info!

Still researching some of the suggestion. I will let you know what I find out.

I just thought of something....the tank I have has overflow boxes but what about the plumbing for the overflow boxes i.e. prefilters, standpipes Will that be something I need to get separately?

If it's not included with the tank, then yes, you'll have to purchase that separately. It should be a simple matter of measuring the holes and buying the appropriately sized bulkhead fittings. The rest, you can make out of PVC pipe. Prefilters are OK, but not necessary. You'll want to make the standpipes high enough that you don't have a waterfall effect as the water spills over the sides of the overflow. Check out http://www.rl180reef.com/ for ideas on building a quiet overflow. Please don't hesitate to post any questions you have on this...several of us are DIY fanatics and the next best thing to building something yourself is telling someone else how to do it :mrgreen: .

I think that I am going to have to go end up building my own sump. Got any ideas for that?

The cheapest way to get a good sump, IMO, would be to use a smaller aquarium and have it drilled to your specs. You could probably use a 30g tank or even a 40g 4' long tank as a sump since you have a 6' main tank. The reason I suggest this is that it's easy to add the baffles you'll need in a glass tank. Just have a glass shop cut the pieces you need to size and silicone them in place. You can also use a piece of acrylic on top to support your drain hoses if needed. Check out this page on my site for some pics of glass sumps.
http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/filtration.htm
Click the pics for larger views. This should give you a good idea for a simple sump layout. You'll want to make sure you have room left in the stand for the other equipment such as pumps, skimmers, ect...

Back
Top Bottom