Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You have 9 fish in a 20 gallon tank?????? Wow. With no live rock either.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'd love to get rid of the spot damsel but I can't catch him. lol I have not had many problems with keeping fish, but don't want to mess things up when I change to the new filter.
So am i able to buy live rock and add it to my tank??

Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, for starters lets just hit the brake on things.
Keep the filter media going so there is as much bacteria in this system as humanly possible.
Switching out the fake decor for live rock really isn't going to be a drastic difference at this point. Actual porous rock will give more area for bacteria to grow, but unless there are ammonia or nitrite readings in the system then everything has equaled out. You can add more rock to your tank pretty much at anytime.
The more pressing concern would be all the fish in the system, the coral beauty being one that needs a much larger tank to survive in. In the long term there will be issues even though they have not happened yet. Since you only have a local Petco like myself, returns aren't an option. Your best bet would be to upgrade the tank down the line. This would then open up for upgrades inside the tank, like getting yourself some macro/base rock so that it can become established and 'live'.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I wasn't suggesting changing out the decor just adding a piece or 2 of Live Rock. All my nitrates, nitrates, ammonia, salt, ph and alkaline are at perfect levels. I keep them in check.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

removal of media in filter would really be risky IMO as that resin decor really isn't very pouris . If your adding a new filter add the old media along with new media till the new media is seeded 2/3 weeks.
but if your going to add a few pieces of live rock I would try to get at-least 10 lbs
wait a few weeks than add the new filter that would be the safer way to go
9 fish in a 20g that's way to many , don't take this the wrong way that coral beauty has no business being in that tank as they require a much larger tank . I would think him alone would over load the bio load
I would suggest a bigger tank or re home him .
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for all the info. My coral beauty is very small & doing fine.
I will look into some live rock and when I change the filter I will try to figure out how to fit the old media cartridge into the new filter since they are different shapes.

Tags
change, filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com