Evap prevention on an open top tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For things like short vacations, can you add plexi or something else handy to the top to buy you some extra time? I have a 75 gal. I am also going to attempt to make a no-electricity ATO system using gravity into the sump. We'll see... Any other ideas, thoughts, tips or tricks??

You do not want to prevent evaporation. You are better off topping off than hindering gas exchange.

Boo... My mom, a non-fishtank type person will be tending my aquariums. But real basic stuff--feedings, checking to make sure equipment is running & topping off the big tank. We won't be gone long enough to interfere w/ the PWC schedules. I didn't want her to have to deal w/ knowing how much to put in & IDK an average of how much evaps out. I will just have to draw lines for her & say "Fill 'er to there..." It will be fine but I worry a lot regardless.

Look into an auto top-off then. You can make one pretty cheaply, or you can buy one like the JBJ ATO.

You could always top off right before you leave and put a lil extra in. Our 125 goes through about 1-2g a day

Back
Top Bottom