Evaporation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should a gallon of water really only take 18 hours to evaporate from a 55 gallon tank with lots of flow in it?? I know I gotta do top offs, but didn't know if this amount in this short a period was normal... How much does everyone else top off
and how frequently?

I do about a gallon a day, with 17 square feet of surface area exposed to air. I think people in drier, less humid areas experience more evaporation, because it is more easily absorbed by the surrounding air. Typically, down here, it feels like hell after a rainstorm!! So I think I have less evaporation than most.

Oh wow! Ok, so the fact that my AC is cranked on 73 all day isn't helping huh? But also means that a gallon is normal for my tank... Cool beans thanks Toby

Benamayer said:
Oh wow! Ok, so the fact that my AC is cranked on 73 all day isn't helping huh? But also means that a gallon is normal for my tank... Cool beans thanks Toby

Well, probably not helping with evaporation, but I'm sure it's helping keep the tank nice and stable! I keep the AC pegged at 75, and the tank stays at 79-80.
I would take a quick look to see if anything is leaking, just to be sure, but that sounds about right.
Enjoy the addiction Ben! :)

Haha thanks man... Yea I already checked, no leaks anywhere. Tank, filter, skimmer, all good. And the addiction part is right! My buddy from North Carolina who had a gorgeous 125g had his tank crash and wiped out everything. He had a toadstool that was a foot in diameter had a disease and was dead in 2 days. Wiped him Out except some algae... I'm so into the hobby, it crushed me to hear about it lol!

I have a 55 open top with a second 55 as my sump tank. It has about 35 gallons in it. So, technically I have 2 open top 55's and I only top off about 1 gallon every 24 hrs. I live at 7000 feet and have virtually ∅ humidity. My AC is set at 75 and is only about 3 feet from my tank (it doesn't blow directly at it). I personally would double check for leaks. It may be such a small leak that it evaporates before it puddles. My DT had 3 small leaks the day I purchased it.

Crap... Ya know guys, I was wrong about the amount of time... It's 36 hours not 18, for a gallon to evap. Still think I need to check for a leak lol! Sorry about that!

Benamayer said:
Crap... Ya know guys, I was wrong about the amount of time... It's 36 hours not 18, for a gallon to evap. Still think I need to check for a leak lol! Sorry about that!

You almost certainly don't have a leak. Your evaporation sounds about right for mid summer with a low AC temp. I get about 1/2 a gallon or more evaporation in my 20h freshwater in the summer because my hood has a fan. You're fine. Blame it on the weather! -_-

Benamayer said:

36hrs for a gallon of evaporated water is better than normal. I doubt you have a leak at all! By the way, I love to see pictures of your setup.

Thanks guys... Here's some pics!

image-514872816.jpg

Attachments

• image-3170147743.jpg
    image-3170147743.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1807903691.jpg
    image-1807903691.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-202813734.jpg
    image-202813734.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 90
Been up for 6 weeks... Cycled in 3, 10% RODI changes weekly... Skimmer is cranking, and running GFO in the filter... Dealing with a small phosphate problem hopefully it subsides soon cuz I want more fish lol... And sea urchins are awesome!

Ahhh yea I don't know too much about em except he's good in my tank. Actually got him from the tank I got my live rock out of, plus my clown goby...

I see a gallon to a gallon and a half evaporation daily on my 40 breeder. Just ordered a auto top off system to keep it more stable.

How does an ATO work? Any good links? Is it a mechanism that is hooked up to a water line?

An ATO is basically 2 float switches, a RO/DI reservoir with a pump, and a controller. When the float switch in the sump is activated from the water level being low, the controller kicks on the pump and fills the sump until the other float switch is activated, and shuts it off.
When working properly, the only thing you have to do is keep the float switches clean, and the reservoir filled.

Expensive, pain in the butt, not worth it? Or good to have, easy to maintain, pros outweigh the cons? Would I basically store a 5 gallon bucket for example, under my tank for this? And then fill that up as needed once a week or so?

Benamayer said:
Expensive, pain in the butt, not worth it? Or good to have, easy to maintain, pros outweigh the cons? Would I basically store a 5 gallon bucket for example, under my tank for this? And then fill that up as needed once a week or so?

No, not expensive. You can DIY and just buy the parts or buy one ready to roll for like$90.
Def a cool thing to have...wish I had one! That's one of the many things I would like to do for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom