Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Evaporation

How many gallons of water will evaporate from my 90 gallon tank in a week? Also how often do I have to do water changes? Every time the nitrites, nitrates, or ammonia goes up?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

water change 10 percent a week on average.....and evaporation depends a lot on setup, do you have an open top, Glass top and what type of lighting...I have a 55 gal. with open top egg crate and led lighting with a wood top and filter fans in top... I evaporate 2 liters a day.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill302 View Post
water change 10 percent a week on average.....and evaporation depends a lot on setup, do you have an open top, Glass top and what type of lighting...I have a 55 gal. with open top egg crate and led lighting with a wood top and filter fans in top... I evaporate 2 liters a day.
Plan on glass top... Water change is for what?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

type of lighting matters a lot on evaporation metal halides burn hotter than t-5 and leds. A 10 percent water change per week is to maintain proper water balance you also need ro/di water.... read this Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Crap I'm adding 10% water to mine weekly just to take care of my evaporation.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you tested for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates or the ph??? plus its better to replace water evaporation daily to maintain stable water chem....
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So 10% for 6 months then wait for the levels to even out and to put water back in you just mix the salt in the water your going to put in and heat it to the temp and pour it in?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My ATO reservoir is 5.5g and goes low every 4 days or so. I have open top and a quad T5 fixture. Also depends on the ambient room temperature in your house, I notice when it gets really hot here I go through more water, of course. But on average I go through about 10g a week I'd say on that tank.

On my open top 125g I go through almost 20g a week, I also have a 12 bulb fixture on that tank so it does get kinda hot under there.

Hope that helps
Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do a 40% water change on my 90g every month. Its a fish only system so the parameters stay pretty good, except the nitrates will get a little high which in a fish only system is kinda ok. lol I would suggest going every 2 weeks as every week can be a bear to do, at least for me.lol If you are doing a reef tank you really do need to do water changes frequently as the change doesnt just take out bad things it also adds elements that are in the salt for the corals such as iodine, calcium magnesium etc etc....
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooked View Post
Crap I'm adding 10% water to mine weekly just to take care of my evaporation.
I hear you on that one haha. Open top 180 gallon reef with 3 halides. I add a gallon a day at least

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com