Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always wonder about wild caught fish. for all we know it could be at the end of its life expectancy. it could be 3500 dollars spent on a fish that has already lived its life and may not live very long in our tank.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

check out YT for some sweet videos of those Gem or Spotted Tangs eating...4 of them one ONE TANK!!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
I always wonder about wild caught fish. for all we know it could be at the end of its life expectancy. it could be 3500 dollars spent on a fish that has already lived its life and may not live very long in our tank.
Adult specimens usually do not do well when captured, and thus aren't the focus of the collectors. If you look in shops, the vast majority of fish you see, freshwater or marine, are juveniles, which adapt better to captivity. For example, say you're shopping for a Queen Angelfish, Holacanthus ciliaris. The one you'll buy will be between two and four inches long, which is a youngster. You'll have that 200 gallon tank ready to keep it. It'll take some time for that little juvenile to grow to an 18-inch beauty, and will live for many, many years after.
It'd make no sense for collectors to capture adults, because they do so poorly, they'd just lose money if they sold 'old' fish, or they died right after capture. Very quickly consumer confidence would falter, and the collectors' livelihood would suffer.
They aren't stupid. They capture young or immature fish because they are easier to ship, take less room in wholesale tanks, and do better adapting to home aquariums.

Dave
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You're right, it seems crazy, but there are people that spend $8,000,000 for a painting for their pricate collection, $450,000 for a cigar humidor that used to belong to JFK, $60,000 for a dress that used to belong to Lady Diana or $88,000 for a lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair. There are a lot of people out there with a lot of money. If blowing the money away makes them happy, so be it.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewardislands View Post
There are a lot of people out there with a lot of money. If blowing the money away makes them happy, so be it.

It's all relative. Let's use Blackjack as an example. If you make 500,000 a year you could gamble with a $50,000 bankroll and it would be the same as someone who earns $50,000 Gambling with $5,000. In another aspect everyone has something they spend a lot of money on. Athletes with their supplements, Car people and their modifications and customizing and everything else. So if you're worth a few million why have a Percula Clown or yellow tang when you can have a $5,000 fish that nobody else does
Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Finally got my new trigger. Still a bit shy.

Hello all i finally got my new trigger last week. He is a bit shy but eating well. I think he is scared of the big black tang. Here are some pics and some new ones of the others. Let me know what you think? Regards. Tim

Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm sorry i meant to start a new thread but was looking at this thread and mistakenly posted mine on here. Mods feel free to remove my post. thanks Tim
Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
For expensive freshwater fish, check out the prices on L046 Zebra Plecos

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Freshwater have by far the most expensive fish. They make 3500 look like chump change. There are platinum arowanas and koi that sell for well over 250,000. zebra pleco are around 50.00
Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is why i stick with tetras 8)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com